Chapter 28

Xavier and I entered the meeting hall, hand in hand, as we stared at the turmoil in the sea of people

Voices erupted, but I signalled them to quieten down. "I have somethings to say." I declared loudly. "Before I elaborate on our success in obtaining what we think is the anchor, we need to acknowledge that sadly, four of the five wolves with me were murdered and the other injured. Please can we have a minute's silence just to reflect on their deaths and all that they have done for us." My voice remained cold and emotionless. 

After a minute passed, I continued, "I would like to thank you all for paying your respects and I give my condolences to your pack, Alpha." I said to the Alpha who sent the five wolves to our aid. "I am sure you can all see that Xavier is still alive. How? Well he'll explain it soon. But, we have the book and we are absolutely sure that it has to be the anchor since the witch was holding it protectively. If any of you have any suggestions please tell me immediately. We need all the ideas we can get. We will be in the library. You are all welcome there. Good night, on my part. I think Xavier is going to explain how he's not dead now."

"Yes, I will. First of all I wou-" Xavier began to speak but I left with a group of wolves, dragons and vampires and my mother.

We laid a series of devices and objects that my mother could use to destroy the book. I held the book in my hands once again and flicked through the pages. I froze when I realised that actually, some of the pages hand been burnt, and the cover was partially covered in black. But what was even surprising was that the burnt marks in the book were not fresh. They hadn't been caused today. But the cover had been burnt today. 

I thought long and hard. I realised that the when I burnt the book previously, I threw it into the fire when it was open.

Then I looked over to my mother. She was trying really had but every slash disappeared. Every torn page was put back together. Every flame would engulf the book but not consume it, and then disappear.

"We aren't getting anywhere." I huffed.

"You need to calm down." Xavier said sternly as he entered the library.

"You're right." I said helplessly, as he sat on a wide chair and I then curled on his lap, as I thought about how he was alive.

"I never died." I suddenly jumped, as he surprised me.

"Are you invading my privacy?" I asked playfully.

"Yes and I've been doing it all this time. From even before the moment you found the dagger." I gasped and my head hung low in shame.

 "But I know you're sorry. I heard it all and I don't blame you. I told you I gave you the drug that would make you violent and lust for blood. And even if I didn't hear it I know you didn't mean to. The only reason why I could hear your thoughts was because of your guilt. It made you take your barriers down. Even when you were finding the dagger or killing me, you were resisting. The witches make you do things. It was the magic and the drug, not you. It intensified your feelings, it made it seem that you hated me."

"Let's not talk about it." I said as I pouted into his chest. I honestly just wanted to cry and let it all out. "Xavier, don't leave me. Please. We can make this work. I will take my responsibilities seriously and - and I really want to be with you." I blurted out.

He slowly sat straighter and held my head as he did this. Then he cupped my cheeks and guided me to look at his face. 

"That's all I have ever wanted. It's all I've been thinking about. My lycan had the courage to say it and act on his feelings. I didn't. But I told you I'm never letting you go."  And then he softly kissed my forehead.

"King and Queen of the Wolves, you have been summoned to the meeting hall." A servant who entered the library told us.

"King and Queen?" Xavier whispered proudly. "You are my Queen." And then he swiftly pecked my lips.

We both got up and I looked my mother and the other three groups discussing ways to destroy the book.

"Please bring the book and the objects." Xavier beat me to it.

We entered the meeting hall and I got my mother demonstrated how the book would not be destroyed. "Does anyone have any ideas?" I asked calmly but in reality I was panicking. 

I held the book in my hand to show them what it looked like when suddenly my right wrist burned. I dropped the book as I grunted. Screaming and cackling filled my ears.

"Katherine your eyes are lime green." My mother stated. I could barely hear her as the cackling and the pain intensified.

I wanted to scream 'make the pain stop!' but I didn't want to show everyone how much it hurt. I bent down and slammed the book on the table. Then I slashed at the book with my retracted nails, ripping the cover and tearing  some of the pages of the the book apart.

"The witches are here!" I heard someone scream.

But I payed no attention to it. In fact I sped up.

"Stop it little girl!"

I continued destroying the book. I unleashed my anger.

"Stop!" One screamed as I ripped the pages.

"You know not what you do!"

Finally, I tore the pages of the bounds.

"Stop!" All three screamed as I took a matchstick and set the pages and bounds on fire.

The pain stopped. I looked at the three witches who were basked in the same lime green hue as my eyes. Lime green slashes and holes were littered around their body. The gaps stretched and grey wider, until with one final scream, they disappeared.

"Katherine! Your mark it's gone." Xavier shouted.

"I was apart of their sist-hood. That's why I had the mark. It wasn't to scare me or to bargain with me. I really was one of them."

Cheers erupted.

And for once after a very long time, I no longer felt like a monster.

"They're gone!" I screamed happily.

"They're gone." Xavier whispered as he embraced me.

They're gone.