Bring on the Dancing Horses

Jordan

Jamie's lips brushed against the side of my face while he tugged at my knotted curls with his fingers. As I opened my eyes, I was confused, not sure why we were still in the car in the driveway. At the same time I really liked what Jamie was doing with my hair.

"Let's go inside," he said in my ear.

"Yeah," I said, bringing my lips to his.

"Inside," he said against my lips.

My ankle continued to throb, but I was able to walk on it. I was such a mess, band aids on my knees and elbows like I was still a little boy. I couldn't wait to get them off. Once inside, I tore them off, clenching my teeth so I wouldn't scream. They were stuck on pretty good.  "I'm such a mess," I said, examining my elbows. "Look at that. Disgusting." Jamie didn't seem to think it was too disgusting, though, kissing each elbow. He crouched down to do the same to my knees.

"Jamie..." I said, looking down at him. He stood back up, placing his hands on my shoulders. "I...uh..." I wasn't sure what I wanted to say, but I knew I wanted to say something. My phone interrupted my thoughts. The only person who would ever call me was Tim, maybe my dad, but usually always Tim.

"Hey," Tim said. "How's it going?"

"Okay," I said, wondering why he was calling and why he was asking me that. "I bought you cannolis."

"You did?" he said. "From where?"

"Mike's Pastry," I said.

"In the North End?"

"Yes," I said. "We went to this really cool store and I got a Misfits record...you know, vinyl...and a Patti Smith t-shirt and then we went out to eat and I had Cioppino."

"Wow," he said. "It sounds like you had a really good day. Jamie took you?" I hesitated before responding because I realized it sounded like a date.

"Yes," I said.

"Yeah, who else would have taken you, right?" he said. "Uh...um...I hope you don't mind, but I have to work late tonight and then I'm taking Kelly out. I'm thinking about staying overnight. Would that be okay?" I wasn't sure what to say, so I was silent. "Jordan? Are you there?"

"Uh...yeah," I said.

"Is Jamie there?"

Yes, he's here, I thought to myself. And he's playing with my hair and I love it.

"You're not coming home?" I asked, not answering his question about Jamie.

"Is that okay?" he asked. I didn't answer, not sure what kind of emotion I was feeling at the moment. "Hello? Jordan, are you still there?" I didn't say anything. "Jesus, Jordan, say something. I know you're there, I can hear you breathing. Is Jamie there? Let me talk to him."

"What's going on?" Jamie asked me as I stared at the floor. "Jordan?" Jamie yanked my phone out of my hand even though he knew I hated it when people touched my phone or took it without permission.

"Hi, Tim," Jamie said. Folding my arms over my chest, I leaned against the kitchen counter, continuing to stare at the floor, occasionally shifting my eyes up to Jamie while Jamie and Tim talked back and forth. "Yes...yeah...he's okay," Jamie said. With each pause, I knew Tim was speaking, but I had no idea what he was saying. "Yeah...yeah...it's cool," Jamie said. "He's fine...don't worry about it...He'll get over it...Yeah...okay, see you tomorrow."