Forty

-Mia-

I stared at him in anger as he took a seat and I took one beside him. He exhaled before looking into my eyes and explaining.

"I'm going to tell you the truth. I've been keeping this from you for awhile and it's time you found out." I raised an eyebrow, hoping it wouldn't be anything bad.

"This guy - this prick called Nicolo has had his eyes on you for a while." My breath hitched and my palms went sweaty. "He knew your father before he died-"

"My father's dead?" I interrupted, with a little gasp. He nodded and I bit my lip. I never met the man and my mother hated mentioning him. He left her when I was in her womb.

"Yes, there are rumours that he is dead but it isn't official. We're not sure yet. Nicolo doesn't know that. He still wants revenge-"

"On who?" I asked, panicking a little. "On your father. Your father killed Nicolo's son and now he wants revenge. He wants you but no one knows what for. This is the same guy that got someone to try and drown you." I gasped, one hand on my mouth and one hand on my stomach.

"Me?" I gasped, "but I haven't done anything wrong."

"I know," Vincenzo said warmly as he took my hand. "But he wants you and I'm going to do everything I can to protect you and April - and the baby."

"The baby," I whispered, taking my hand away from him. "I-I don't understand! Me? I'm just a young pregnant woman. I haven't done anything - I don't even know this Nicolo guy! Wait, has this got to do with you?"

"N. ." He hesitated a little and I arched my eyebrow up. "Yes. .I pissed him off a little in the past. He's one of my enemies." I blinked back the tears forming in my eyes. I raked a hand through my hair, taking all this in.

"What is wrong with my life? Are you trying to tell me that I could die? I'm pregnant and I could die?"

"Mia-"

"No!" I snapped, "none of this would of happened if I hadn't of met you!"

"Mia," he said in a hard tone as I realised how harsh my words are. "I'm sorry," I genuinely told him before saying, "I just. .why me?"

"I don't know, baby," he whispered, about to take my hand but I moved it away. "Just let me and April go."

"I can't," he said, "I wouldn't let you either way but it's not safe for you. You could walk out that door and get attacked. I have men constantly guarding us and working to get this guy off our backs."

I wiped my eyes. "Either way, I'm not safe. I can't believe this." I sighed, sniffing. "So what's going to happen? I'm just going to stay here until you sort it out?" He nodded.

"Well, sort it quickly because as soon as this is all over, I'm gone, with April. Now if you'll excuse me, I need the toilet."

He showed me to the small bathroom and I did my business there. I was shown around the bungalow. There was one small bathroom, a kitchen, a living room and one bedroom.

"One room?" I asked him and he nodded as I watched April sleep on the bed. "Poor you. You have to sleep on the couch."

"What?"

"Mmhmm. ." I said with a little smirk as I glanced at him. "You're a dick and I'm pregnant. Plus, April's a terrible sleeper. There's no space for you."

He scoffed a little but didn't argue, knowing that I'd win anyway. I wasn't happy with him and I wasn't sure about my relationship with him. I didn't know whether to break up with him or not. All I knew was that I had to protect my children. As soon as all of that crap, that I was struggling to understand, was over, I was taking my kids and leaving him until he sorted himself out.