Chapter 57.

Dante

At the sound of the next word that echoed throughout the deathly silent room, my chest tightened.

My mind felt as though it was in a fog and I hadn't expected my thoughts to start spinning so quickly.

"I."

The simple letter rung through my ears until I could no longer breathe. I could no longer hear. I could no longer think. And the disgustingly pleased look on the face of the chairman of the company made it that much worse.

She had said it so monotone, yet the mental affect it had would make you think she had used a megaphone to make a fucking public service announcement.

"-think Mr. Acosta should remain CEO." My eyebrows creased as I was surely convinced that I was out of a job. Evaline smiled towards me after presumably almost causing me to plummet head first into a low.

"Nay."

That was it. My spot was once again solidified. I could go home. Kiss my fiancee. And everything would be okay, right?

Wrong.

"All right, then this meeting is ajourn-"

Without a word or glance to any of them, I stood up and left the room. I walked in with only one major conflict, and I left out with twenty-five brand new problems. Maybe it would have been better had she voted against me.

I wouldn't have to find a new account manager. I wouldn't have to go to different countries or rather send someone to do so to make sure they knew their money was secure. And I surely wouldn't have to think of the awful fact that one or maybe all of my employees knows more about my personal life than they have in ten years.

I don't think I was ever going to tell them about my disorder. When was it ever their business?

It was real sweet of the little curley-haired girl to bring it up. It really was. But it didn't mean I was happy about it in the slightest. The chairman of the board wants me gone, the last thing he needs is another reason to try once again.

Nonetheless, there she was. Right there; handing it to him on a silver fucking platter with abosolutely nothing I could do to stop it.

A part of me felt bad for leaving Karina alone to deal with the majority of the dreaded conference room. Perhaps if I were to retire, and of course didn't have a child on the way, she would be my replacement. The new CEO of SEO Limited. She'd fit the part. She puts almost all hours of the day into that company. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen her at her own home. And if I she was there, she most likely brings work home with her.

- But just as quick as I'd thought I'd left her, I found her voice to be coming from only a few feet behind me.

"Dante, where are you going?" She questioned me, rushing to keep up with my fast-paced strides.

"Home," I responded, emotionlessly, pushing the button to the elevator as the slightly short woman stood next to me. She wasn't the woman I wanted to see right now.

"Well, aren't you happy?" Her head tilted up towards me as she followed me inside the elevator doors.

My brows furrowed and I couldn't stop the sudden chuckle that escaped my lips, feeling my chest rumble underneath the black, button-up. "About what?" I asked, dryly.

"You're still CEO," she informed as if the thought had not yet occurred to me.

I mean I have been for eight years now, why should it be a shocker today?