xxx

THE INVASION 

"IF WE DIE, LET IT BE FOR A CAUSE AND NOT A SPECTACLE. IF WE SUCCEED, LET IT BE FOR ALL OF PANEM, AND LET IT BE FOREVER. YES, YOU'VE ALREADY MADE HISTORY. BUT THE FUTURE, OUR FUTURE, STARTS TOMORROW AT DAWN!"

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THE Star Squad didn't just consist of victors, but a collection of District 13's best soldiers, Gale, and the television crew.

An excellent party. Or not.

A rippling tension existed between the soldiers, and they all knew not everyone was going to make it out of this alive. The new President Valeria Snow had built a minefield of traps and lethal devices called 'pods', made by Capitol Gamemakers, just in case the rebels did manage to get past the Peacekeepers and other defenses.

The Capitol was putting on quite the show.

They had only been on their invasion for three days. Most days included Boggs leading their slow march through the city, searching for pods, and allowing Katniss to set them off safely — with Cressida and her camera crew always filming. In the distance, bombs echoed, and occasionally the ground shook with a shell landed nearby. Every night, Katniss found herself on a thin bedroom, Peeta sleeping nearby, trying to stuff information from Military Tactics books into her head while memories of nights with Will still safe in her womb and two year old Rye fast asleep, laying against her side.

As they holed up in some damaged apartment building, the Star Squad got a new member.

A truck from the south arrived without warning.

Guards slowly climbed out, walked out the back of the truck, and then emerged with none other than Willow Mellark herself. There was shock, confusion, resistance, but Squad 451 was stamped on the back of Willow's hand in fresh black ink. With manacles still around her wrists, the frail girl avoided Calder's eye as she approached.

She kept her head down as she approached, eyes trained on her boots, muttering over and over, "My name is Willow Mellark, my home is District 12. My name is Willow Mellark, my home is—,"

Cal shared a desperate glance with Finnick who gave a small and comforting nod. Slowly and cautiously, the golden—haired boy approached Willow — each step loud enough so she sensed him coming, even with his head down. He fell into step beside her, murmuring softly near her ear, trying to see just what the hell she was doing here. When Peeta and Boggs swiftly went to make calls, Katniss could only watch, numb and aching, as the Odair's took her daughter under their metaphorical wing.