14| Broken Plates & Promises

I imagine the lovely and talented Sophia Bush as Lily from the Diner:

(Even her voice is perfect for Lily!)

Without hesitating, I rushed over and scooped up the crying boy

Without hesitating, I rushed over and scooped up the crying boy. Carrying him away from the broken glass, I tried to calm him down.

"Shhh, shhhh, it's okay. You're okay, Mommy is okay. I know it was loud and scary but it's over now," I said, trying to get him to stop crying but it wasn't working. His eyes were glued to his mom and the mess he made.

Come on, Natalie! You've got this, now what was this kid's name?

It took me about five seconds to remember it.

"Shhh, Nate. Please stop crying," I begged, reaching for his little hand.

Just by saying his name, I managed to get him to look at me. His cute little face was covered in snot and tears and all the crying had made him go pink in the face, but now he was just whimpering and trying to catch his breath.

A woman nearby brought me a napkin, and I wiped little Nate's face off. I decided that I should stay with him until the mess was cleaned up. I busied myself by checking to see if he was cut anywhere, but he looked fine.

"Sorry about that," Lily sighed once everything was cleaned up. "He came out of nowhere and knocked me off balance. Thank you for stepping in."

"It was no trouble. Calming down little children is one of the few things I'm good at," I said with a smile.

"Yeah, well...Wait a minute, you're that girl, the babysitter with the flyer, right?" she remembered, her eyes clicking in recognition.

"Yup, that's me. I'm Natalie."

I looked down when I felt little wet fingers grab one of mine.

"You should be more careful, little guy. You don't want Mommy to get hurt, right?" I asked, and then I looked up at Lily who was watching the whole thing.