II.

LAMENT | II.
( 'A PROMISE' )

WINTERFELL293 A

WINTERFELL
293 A.C.

Willa had swiftly grown accustomed to life in Winterfell, having only lived there for five months. She had fallen into a routine where she would spend her mornings with Sansa and Arya, stitching.

She found the activity to be dull, but she never complained, not the way Arya did. Her stitches were far worse than Sansa's, but she didn't care. She'd spend her time waiting for the moment she'd be liberated and able to see Robb. He had grown into her best friend, you'd never see one without the other.

She'd often find herself screaming in the middle of the night, dreaming of when her brother attacked her, and Robb would be there holding her, until Catelyn came and took the frighten girl in her arms. Robb always put up a fight, not wanting to leave Willa's side, but Catelyn would force the boy to go back to his chambers.

Sometimes she thought Theon was a little jealous, but she never knew of who. Willa had come in and stole Theon's best friend. But Willa didn't miss the looks Theon gave her. He stared at her, but not in the way her brother did. Theon's longing gazes were innocent. He fancied her, but what young boy in Winterfell didn't.

With Willa and Robb spending most of their time together, Theon began to spend more time with Jon. When Willa met Jon Snow, she was so certain that he'd be just like her brother Walder. She thought he would have a foul mood, and an ill temper, but he was the exact opposite. Jon Snow shared nothing in common with Walder aside from the fact that they were both bastards. Jon wouldn't even dare look at her, and when he did, it was never directly at her eyes. It was as though he was afraid to get in trouble.

"Why does Jon act the way he does?" she'd ask Robb when they were sitting in the Godswood one evening. It was where they went to get away from everyone else.

"My mother is insulted by Jon, and I guess it makes him feel like he's unwanted," Robb follows it by saying, "Jon never chose to be born, he never chose to be a bastard."

"Yet he is," Willa said.

Robb nodded and reiterated her words, "Yet he is. It makes me wonder why men go around having bastards."

"I don't think that was your father's intention," Willa told him. Eddard Stark was kind and very respectable. Willa had only known him for a couple of months, but he was kinder to her in those months than her father had been in her entire life.

"My father is supposedly the most honorable man in the Seven Kingdoms, yet he betrayed my mother. I would never do that to my wife and family," Robb said. Willa couldn't help the chuckle that came out of her. Robb was just a boy, he had no idea what he was saying.

"You say that now, but you'll meet a woman and she'll make you forget your honor," Willa said, Robb shook his head, denying her claim.

"There's no woman in the Seven Kingdoms that would make me betray my wife," Robb said.