Chapter Nine

Shyam looked at the lady standing with crossed arms in front of him. The attitude etched over her face sent another wave of annoyance in him and he groaned, "Will you even care to tell me what's the plan?"

"I told you already, when the time comes, I will myself tell you what you have to do with Arnav. Then why the hell do you keep on calling me? Don't you know how dangerous it is to exit the house?" 

"First of all, I said it was safe here. And second of all, to hell with Arnav and his family. You know I'm not interested in them, all I want is Khushiji and you promised you will give her to me. But it doesn't quite seem you remember your promise, does it?" Shyam gritted, sheer vexation dripping from his voice and stiffen posture.

His statement made her roll her eyes, taking into account the secluded building around them in the process, before she looked at him, with a weird look. "Why are you crazy for her like this? What's so special in her, that you prefer to stay with her instead of taking advantage of the situation and conquer the property you always wanted? That's insanity, you know?"

"Insanity is just another word for love, for passion. But anyways, leave it. It's no use of telling you all this. After all, a girl like you, who didn't even think twice before stabbing her own sister's trust, will not understand this. Am I right, Payalji?" Shyam mocked.

Payal raised her eyebrows. "And the man who cheated on the woman who worshiped him like God, who was ready to feign a suicide attempt without thinking of her unborn on a mere request from his side, who didn't think twice before agreeing to corrode her own brother's marriage with lies and fake incidences, just for the sake of bringing him home, that man, he will understand this very well, right Shyamji?" 

The sarcastic smile she gave him at the end made him break into a laughter, before his eyes filled with musing.

"I must say, you really are a shocker. No one, not even me, in my wildest dreams, would have thought that the timid and voiceless girl of the Gupta family will turn to be like this, so venomous and manipulative. Seriously, hats off. Your shrewdness even left me behind in the race of evilness." He chuckled again, however, his statement nowhere ignite even the slightest of humor in Payal.

It instead brought a bitter taste in her mouth, and an excruciating feeling of resentment in her already burning heart.

"I was not like this. And neither am I enjoying being this, this cruel and despicable. It's Khushi, she forced me into this. She did this. To me." Tears gathered in her eyes and blurred her vision, as she zoned out of the present, into the horrible days she has been surviving, while Shyam rolled his eyes, musing at how she's starting to complain about her miserable life, whilst making other's a living hell.

"My husband is not even sparing me a glance, my marriage is on the verge of breaking and, and all of my self-respect is being crushed, why? Because I'm her sister. Despite the fact that it was always her mistake, her fault, her idiocy to choose and hide the truth, her decision that brought everyone in danger, I'm the one to be blamed, just because she is related to me! My honesty is being blamed, I am left alone in the cold, and she, she gets to enjoy with her husband? To escape the hell she has thrown me into, with the support of her Arnavji? Unacceptable." Payal rasped. She wiped her tears, breathing heavily, eyes holding neither remorse nor a bit of softness as she added. 

"Now she will have to suffer too. The support she had, will have to leave her. She has to be left alone to face the blunt like I did, like I have been doing. She has to face the hell she created the minute she chose to hide your truth, and then, once she's dead from the inside, I will send her to you, to scar her forever, to kill her complete-aah!" She shrieked, feeling a hold around her forearm which swirled her around. In her contorted vision, she saw a hand, flying down at her face and sending her staggering a few steps back, igniting a burning sensation all over her cheek.