Chapter Two

"Amanji, are you sure that everyone will be safe? I mean will they be able to provide us all with enough security? Without coming into anyone's attention?"

Khushi asked anxiously as soon as they exited the police station. They came here first thing in the morning, to discuss about Arnav's accident and to decide on how to provide him and everyone around him with safety. Of course, without anybody knowing.

Aman nodded reassuringly. "They will be around your house 24/7 and anyone who exits the house, will be followed so they don't end up in trouble. And on top of that, they will be wearing civil clothes, so chances of doubts arising are minimum." 

He said and hesitated before adding. 

"But why are you doing all this? I mean, why not tell them everything?"

Because currently, my family is too busy blaming me to take any reasonable step.

"Because I don't want to stress anyone anymore than they already are after Arnavji's kidnapping. And besides, if Shyam is truly behind all this, then Anjali di's health will also deteriorate. So, it's better to keep it this way."

Khushi said instead, masking her hurt with a smile and suppressing her thoughts back into her mind, lest they actually escapes her mouth for a minute.

Aman nodded his head in understanding as he opened the door of the car for her. 

"Don't worry. Whether it's Shyam or someone else, they will find him soon enough."

______________

Khushi rushed through the corridor, keeping her phone back into her bag which read numerous messages from NK, informing her about Arnav's restlessness to see her.

She halted in front of the ward's door, took in a deep breath, then finally gave the door a slight push, to reveal Anjali and Arnav. She stepped inside and was in the process of smiling at her husband when she noticed Anjali's expression veering to revulsion at her presence. 

She swallowed past the sour bile that rose in her throat, paining and choking her. Sometimes she would be forced to think whether she is indeed innocent or not, because it was just beyond her understanding as to how her naive di could turn so venomous towards her, without even giving her a chance of explaining herself.

But then, the fact that she didn't even believe her brother--who till date has lived only and solely with the purpose of ensuring her happiness--consoled her, bringing in the realization that she was undoubtedly so dependent on Shyam that her bitterness after his exit was not inexplicable. 

"Khushi?" 

The low voice of her Arnavji broke her rumination and she smiled, genuinely pleased and satisfied to see at least his eyes glowing at her arrival, and shrugging all her musings, she reached for him. 

She was grateful that Anjali was considerate enough not to create any scenes in front of him in these two days of his hospitalizations. Though she, along with Manorama, took it all out on her once they were away from Arnav's range of seeing or hearing, she was still thankful that she had the permission to be with her husband. She however realized the main reason it bothered Anjali when she is close to Arnav, is the latter's public display of affection. It might have been a cruel reminder of what she recently lost.

Her heart did clicked at that and she tried her best to keep a safe distance from Arnav whenever Anjali would be around, and she tried doing the same today also, but failed when Arnav yanked her directly into his arms by her wrist.