planning part 1

All I had to do was synthesise a better toxin. Joker and his many minions would take care of all the physical work. At least, for the beginning they would.
I flicked through the paper from the day before for any significant articles that I could use in my plot. While doing so, Ivy walked out of the bedroom that I rarely used, wearing a pink, blue and red hoodie that I could only imagine belonging to Harley Quinn.

"Harls tells me that Joker's up to something big," She got a glass of water from the sink. "Related to you by any chance?"

"Well pieced Ivy, You're correct," I went back to looking at the newspaper, grazing over the article on 'Gotham's Wanted'. "They've got your pretty face on page 19," A prison shot of Ivy along with Victor Zsasz were in the bottom left corner of the page. Obviously placed to cause less worry in citizens of the city.

"Oh Jonathan you're the only man who doesn't sound sexually hungry when complimenting me,"

"Of course Ivy, an intellectual like me wouldn't act in such an uncontrolled manner," I smiled at her before getting up to consider what I'd have for breakfast. There were a few slices of bread left in a plastic bag by the fridge, or I could run on coffee until I found a café with an adequate muffin on my way to work. I bid my new flat-mate a good day and walked out with my briefcase and blazer.

A double espresso and a banana pecan muffin later, I arrived at Arkham 9 minutes early and did nothing but paperwork for the first two hours. It wasn't until after lunch that I personally had to give therapy to a patient as my other colleague was ill. I normally only dealt with the extreme cases.

"How are we today.. Mr Hill?" I ask after a minute of silence. The man seems utterly harmless. Frowning a lot, but harmless.

"Same as usual doc, I just can't help feelin' down all the time y'know?" He took a deep breath and shook his head in dismay.

"Were I to know, I'd also be seeking counselling," I retorted. I didn't see this man as ill so far. There was a possibility that he either was running from a criminal conviction or he knew that Arkham would supply him with free food while he was admitted here for six months. His doctor had thought the same thing in recent events and her notes stated that he had potential to be given medication to take with him and released.

"Mr Hill, did Dr Lane talk to you about your release date?" To my expectation he reacted immediately at those words.

"Release date! Why? I'm unwell doc!" He began tapping his foot. "It's not a funny joke,"

"You won't have to pay for your medication for the first five months, you'll still see Dr Lane as an outpatient once a month,"

"Docta Crane I have nowhere to go! You gotta see that, I could end up actually depressed one day," Ah, there was the reveal. I had thought well and as acting director of Arkham I could decide ultimately to remove him from the premises for fraud.

That session adjourned quickly and I returned to my room and typed up an email relaying the events to Dr Lane immediately so I wouldn't forget. Then I checked my phone to see a message from Nigma.

We have some biochemistry to do and J says the project is good. - ?

I felt a grin spread on my face. That was Ed's 'loose code' way of saying the Joker was ready to begin and him and I had to finish my toxin as soon as possible.