08 | Forgetting Pain

BIANCA SLOWLY approached Jasmine's room and knocked on her door. She heard a soft 'come in', knowing her niece would never be as rude as to not let her in. Bianca looked around, the carpet wet under her feet, and Jasmine sitting with her head in her hands, damp hair lining the sides of her face.

She sat next to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, "Come here, Jas."

Jasmine let out a shuddering sigh and hid her face into her aunt's shoulder. "I thought you would understand, Aunt Bia. I never thought you would take their side."

"I do understand, honey. But is it really worth it? We both know that you will find someone Jas. You have 1.2 billion people to choose from. If anyone can find someone, it is you."

Jasmine looked up at Bianca, uncertainty lacing her voice, "What if I don't want anyone of those 1.2 billion? What if I wanted to forget them all?"

"I knew that you and Shayan were dating," Bianca murmured, shaking her head with obvious disappointment.

"We're not dating, but would it be so bad if we were?"

Bianca grew serious as she watched Jasmine pleading for someone to listen to what she wanted, for once. She had never seen Jasmine stand up for herself so well.

Bianca was proud that she finally was beginning to form her own opinions, but it was not her place. She was not her mother. She had no power in this, just like Jasmine. The ones pulling the strings were her parents.

"Yes. It would be bad. Let me remind you of something. Your father did not speak to me or Rahul for the first year of our marriage. He did not speak to me after his death either because, in the end, it comes down to this; if Rahul's wife were an Indian girl, she would not have been a first grade teacher. She would have been a doctor or an engineer, and in turn, would not have put Rahul in that compromising position."

"You know that's not-," Jasmine began, but Bianca merely waved a hand to silence her.

"It is true. I don't want you to lose the two people that love you the most, Jas. It's possible to fall in love with an Indian boy, whether or not your parents choose him for you. In fact, it's highly likely you will end up with one of them. So why risk their love and their support for some childhood friend that does not fit their standards?" Bianca kissed Jasmine's forehead. "Don't end up like me."

Jasmine was speechless, but she nodded, seeming to only agree for her aunt's sake. Bianca pulled her closer when she spoke again, "Would you like to be alone?"

"No, I need you to stay," Jasmine closed her eyes as she whispered, "Please stay."

Bianca continued to obediently hold her, trying to mask the worry rattling her bones. Jasmine wasn't the only one who was scared of what her parents might do to them.

The rule they had created went against everything she believed in, but Bianca knew that if she could somehow steer Jasmine away from Shayan, then her niece would lead a happy life. She wouldn't have to sacrifice her family for a boy. She wasn't sure how Aishwarya and Varun could ever ask their teenage daughter to choose one or the other, but her opinion didn't matter in this situation, or in any situation that involved their family.

She had always liked Shayan, though. He would have been good for her. Since childhood, he had been there for her, even if she didn't return the favor. That kind of sacrifice was so hard to find in anyone, let alone a husband. If Jasmine was her own child, maybe she would have helped them gravitate towards each other.