Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

"I've looked through every single file I own and I can't find the man that matches his description. There is no file of that man I killed. What the fuck?" I huffed while I tugged at my hair in frustration. It's been three weeks. Three fucking weeks. I still haven't figured out who the hell was behind everything. It's really pissing me off because I have to find them. It's driving me crazy.

Whenever, I think I'm on to something I end up coming to a dead end. The empty cell phone was a bust. I even had a few of my buddies from the forensic lab to see if they could find any fingerprints or fibers on notes and photos. But they only fingerprints they found on them was mine, Anton and Alyssa since we was the only one who had any contact with them.

They're covering their tracks. Whoever is behind this is very sneaky and good at hiding. How are they doing it? I have no idea. It's making me think that they might be a bigger threat than we originally thought.  We keep going over the same things. Nothing is working.

"Caine? Maybe we just stop..I mean we tried everything," Anton suggested as he plopped on the leather seat. He looked as tired as I did. Dark circles under his eyes, his hair knotted and sticking up in every direction. I swore he wore that same blue shirt three days straight. This is taking more of a toll on us than we would like to admit.

I glared at him, feeling anger bubbling within me at his stupid ass suggestion. "That's not an option,"

"Why not? We've looked high and low for the person behind this and we still keep coming up with nothing." He told me seriously, his grey eyes bored into mine tiredly.

"You suggest we just give up? Or better yet let them find us first so they can destroy everything I've built?" I asked him sarcasm dripping from my words. As if I'm going to listen to him. I won't stop until they're dead and I have Bryce in my possession.

"I'm not saying we give up...just take a break from all of this," He waved his hand around and raised a brow at me. As if I should actually consider what he's saying.

I narrowed my eyes at him. He thinks that just because it's been a few weeks. I should just start to slack off just because we don't have lead yet? I'm tired too but I can't stop.

"Take a break? Are you serious?" I let out a humorless laugh. I don't care if it takes months. I won't stop searching for the person behind this. They wanted my attention and now they have it. I will make sure their blood is on my hands before I take a fucking break.

I sobered up and tilted my head at him. "That's what you suggest we do? That's what got us in this shit in the first place! Resting is the last thing we need to do," My voice shook with anger.

Anton opened his mouth to respond but I cut him off. "Now," I cleared my throat. "Get out of my fucking office."

He shook his head at me. "I'm only trying to help. We're all on edge and a break can ease all this pent up tension. There's no point in running on empty."

"But did I ask you for your opinion and what you think I should do? I told you to look through the fucking files and that's what I expect you to do." I spat through clenched teeth.

"Well okay then, forgive me for trying to look out for us." He rolled his eyes at my behavior and picked up the files off my desk. His eyes scanning over it's contents.