Someday: Chapter 8

CHAPTER EIGHT

A Fun Life is All About Going Out on a Date

THAT WEEKEND, I TOOK Isaline out for a date. To the amusement park. Because I like amusement parks. They amuse me. With their amusements. Which, in my professional opinion, are very amusing. And also because Isaline said she wanted to go. And thus we found ourselves amusing ourselves in this very amusing amusement park.

“Let’s go on that next, Torph!” Isaline, who was jumping up and down, was pointing at the roller coaster.

My guts can handle that, so I said, “Uh, yeah. Sure.” And so, we lined up. And waited for my judgement.

The excitement on Isaline’s face even exceeded that of everyone else’s on the line. Put together.

As our turn came, Isaline immediately rushed up to the front of the coaster. To the front, mind you. The front.

“Isaline,” I said as we were strapped and locked to our seats, “do you have...”

“Have what, Torph?” Isaline smiled cheerfully.

“Do you have no fear?”

“Of what?” she asked as the coaster was going up the slope.

I was looking below us, thinking of how to describe my current perilous situation when the coaster suddenly went down the slope. And my voice failed me.

Isaline, on the other hand, was screaming ecstatically. Her long, white hair was trailing freely behind. I’m pretty sure she’d look like a shooting star if I saw this sight at night.

“The coaster,” I squeaked as the coaster slowed down up the slope at the other end.

“What?” Isaline shouted over the noise.

And before I could reply, the coaster shot down once again. This time, I found my shouting voice. I tried to make it sound as manly as I could, but the fact that it was almost as high as Isaline’s own voice didn’t make things any better.

Then everything stopped. And I was thankful for the life given to me.

“Did you enjoy that, Torph?” Isaline asked.

“Yes. Yes. Very,” I replied. I was currently fighting down the urge to throw up.

“Are you feeling alright, Torph?” Isaline’s worry was genuine. “You look pale.”

“Yeah. Yeah. Just give my body a few minutes to remember that the intestines should be lower than the lungs. I think they just changed places,” I said weakly.

“Okay then...” Isaline said.

True to my word, my body remembered that the intestines should, in fact, be below the lungs, not above it.

“I’m feeling a whole lot better now, Isa,” I said. “We can go for more rides.”

“Really?!” Isaline asked, bringing her arms up.

Then she looked at something. And I felt my intestines trying to claw its’ way up above my lungs again when I looked in the direction she was looking at.

Then she pointed. And my body started acting weird again.

“That!” she said.

Hoping I was pointing at the wrong thing, I repeated, “That...?”

“Yes! That!” she confirmed.

Oh. Oh god. Gods above, help my poor little soul. I don’t want to die yet. I’d ride the coaster a million times, just not that. Not even once.

“That... That’s a hell sent machine of torturing,” I said as calmly as possible. “From the depths of the underworld. You wouldn’t want to ride that. I assure you.”

“Actually, I do,” Isaline smiled cheerfully.

The ride was that thing that goes up slowly, then when it reaches its’ maximum height, you just all suddenly fall down. Some two hundred feet. Or three.

And we fell in line, waiting to sell my soul.

After a few more hellish rides, Isaline finally got hungry. And I was doubly grateful since I was both scared and hungry. Poor me. How pitiful.

“Hey, Torph,” Isaline tugged at my shirt and pointed, “what’s that?”

“Ah, that’s cotton candy,” I smiled.

“Cotton...?! Since when was cotton edible?!” Isaline’s eyes shone brighter than rubies. I would’ve compared them to diamonds, but her eyes were red, so what the hell.

After getting her cotton candy, I bought Isaline some dinner, which she ate happily. The amount she ate would’ve made any girl who cared for her body figure cry and wail. But she didn’t seem to mind. As for me, I bought a simple sandwich since my wallet was getting thinner. But I didn’t mind it getting thinner than paper if it was to make Isaline happy.

“What is that?” Isaline gaped openly, childlike awe written plainly on her face. She was pointing at the Ferris Wheel.

“That’s called the Ferris Wheel,” I replied. “Wanna ride that?”

“Oh, can we?!” Isaline asked excitedly.

“Of course we can,” I smiled.

So we got in line for the Ferris Wheel. It was one of the biggest Ferris Wheels in the country. From the top, you can see the sea far away. You can see the edge of the city. You can see the country side. And of course, you’ll have a great view of the sunset.

A perfect view in our case.

The sun was setting behind the clouds as we reached the top of the Ferris Wheel.

“Oh Torph, the sunset is beautiful!” Isaline exclaimed as she leaned on the glass wall of the carriage that we were in. She still had  cotton candy around her mouth. A messy pink smudge. She was like a small child. I chuckled.

The setting sun’s light reflected on Isaline’s white skin, bathing her in the sun’s last light. Her hair was like the moon’s guiding light. Her eyes were like crystals in a dark cave. Her neck was like that of a swan: slender and graceful. So were her arms. The curves of her lips were made for kissing. The gentle arch of her eyebrows was perfect. The subtle figure under her blouse was petite.  And her face... Her face was beautiful beyond compare.

Shortly before he died, my father made me promise to protect the girl I love. At that time, I did not really take it seriously since I had no one to love. But now...

A faint smile formed on my lips before I whispered, “I’ve finally found someone I can protect, dad.”