Chapter 4

Nothing but pitch blackness surrounded me, growing darker and darker each minute. I struggled to gain control of my body, but my body defied me. I squirmed and writhed to no avail, letting out a long, exasperated sigh.

After what seemed like hours, I saw a faint light glowing a few feet in front of me. A great, pearly hue pierced the darkness and illuminated the room until all I saw was white. It was like being caught in the middle of a blustering snow storm, only it wasn't cold, nor did it have a violent outlook.

Where was I? I would've looked around if I even knew where to begin looking, but that was utterly impossible to tell. I didn't know which way was which. Up, down, left, right? There was no telling where I was going, but I started forward, hoping to come across something useful.

A nervous feeling quaked in my stomach as I trekked on. I looked around cautiously to see if anyone was following me, but there was no sign of anything. Just me and this vast area of pure white. The air around me grew cold, very cold. I felt a light tap on my shoulder, and I swung around to come face-to-face with a hooded figure.

I couldn't see the person's face well, being that its face was cloaked behind a red metallic hood with gold markings. Judging by its height, it didn't seem that old. It looked like it was in its early twenties.

"Who are you?"

The figure held up its hand to signal to be quiet, then fished something out of its pocket with its other hand. It was a small object the shape of a flat spiral. It had a light red hue like that of soft velvet and then the person placed it in my hand.

"Take this," a deep, masculine voice spoke.

"What is it?"

"In time, you'll find out. You'll soon find out who I am as well."

"Why can't I know now?"

"Trust me. That's all I ask for is your trust."

I didn't realize my legs were trembling. I wanted to run; I wanted to scream, but I couldn't. Why do so many people ask for my trust when I'm the one still not receiving the answers I seek? The boy placed a hand on my shoulder, and I looked up, forgetting that his face was hidden within his metal hood.

"If I give you mine," I started. "Will you give me yours?"

"Yes. I will tell you anything and everything you wish to know when the time is right."

With a sigh, I nodded and pocketed the object.

Whispers sounded in the distance, pursuing my location. They were more like screams this time, more fervent and strained. The boy pulled his hand away, staring outward where my gaze wandered.

"You can hear them too?" I asked him.

He nodded, but didn't look at me. "I best be going, but Eryn?"

I turned to look at him, startled that he knew my name. I didn't give him my name, did I?

"Be safe. People aren't always who they appear to be."

My eyes opened slowly, adjusting to the harsh light while an ice cold rag pressed gently against my right temple. I heard two people shouting around me, two familar voices.

"What were you thinking, Lorelei? You didn't have to hurt her!"

"I had no choice," Lorelei answered Asher in a calm, measured tone. "She was slowing us down."