Chapter 4

Cassandra screamed. "Why is that man standing outside our coach holding a gun?"

"That's simple, Miss. He's going to rob us," Jeremy asserted.

"Don't worry, Miss. I will take care of this," Stephen assured. He opened the door and discovered a masked man who held a gun to the coachman' head. "It's a damn bridle cull. What is it that you want?"

"Everyone out of the coach," the masked man ordered.

Stephen climbed out of the coach as Jeremy followed suit. "You need have no business with the lady," Stephen said.

"I shall be the judge of that." The  highwayman swept his eyes quickly over the remaining passenger. "I'm sorry , Miss, you'll have to step out of the carriage."

"Alright, if you'll just give me a few minutes to compose myself. I've never been held up by a highwayman before."

"Of course, My Lady, never let it be said that I' not a gentleman." As Cassandra stepped down from the coach, she reached her hand into her bosom. By the time she stepped onto the cobblestone path, she held the gun Sophia had given her. She pulled the trigger and managed to hit the highwayman in his shoulder. Under the blue skies, she saw the robber grab his shoulder with his hand. His horse violently kicked his legs out, and he got thrown to the ground. The highwayman aimed his gun at Jeremy's handcuffs. Suddenly, Jeremy was free.

Stephen pulled his gun out but it was too late. The highwayman had shot him in his heart. Cassandra and Jeremy watched as he fell into a field of heather.

"Why?" Jeremy inquired, of the injured highwayman.

"I have a soft spot for one of my own."

"And the lady?"

" The lady is holding a gun. Besides, I might be a highwayman, but I do have my honor. I would never dream of murdering a lady."

Jeremy continued his inquisition. "And the coachman?"

"You don't have to worry about me, sir, I'm glad you killed the bastard, "the coachman explained. "My father was hunted down by the likes of him, leaving my mother to fend for her and four children. Anyway, I could make my fortune with a bloke like you."

"Meaning?" the highwayman asked.

The coachman  brushed his brown hair back with his hand. "This could be my chance to make some decent money. It's not easy to rise up in the social circles of 1804 England. I'm not the son of a Lord or Earl. ." The young man approached the slain highwayman. "Sir, if you will have me, I would like to join you as your apprentice."

"There seems to be a lot of that going around." Cassandra recalled her conversation with Luke.

"And, I do know some doctors who will be quite confidential. Being a man of the lower class can be quite useful to a man like you," the coachman assured.

"I think I shall take you up on your offer of hospitality."

The highway man met the extended hand of the coachman. "You and the lady can take the coach."

"That's very generous of you," Jeremy said, "but I think you know what that offer is worth."

"Alas, I do." The coachman mounted the horse, and the highwayman took his place behind him. "Adieu." Jeremy and Cassandra watched as the newly formed partners rode off.

Cassandra turned to face Jeremy. "What shall we do now?"

"I'm afraid this coach is quite useless to us."