Chapter 18: Rivals

The photo above is of Brett and Becca from the original RIVALS story first published on the Episode Interactive app by myself! That's what they looked like & what their looks in this version were inspired from xo

Becca

It's a date, Brett had said, his blue eyes twinkling down at me before he turned away quickly, purposely not allowing me to protest. His words rang in my ears, creating millions of butterflies in the depths of my stomach.

When he told me he was failing English, I thought he was joking at first. But the look in his eyes, the embarrassment in his voice, told me that what he was saying was very, very real. I agreed wholeheartedly to tutor him, it was the least I could do to help him. Plus, I wasn't exactly going to turn away from an opportunity to spend time alone with Brett, no matter how nervous the idea made me.

For the entire hour of Mr. Wright's math class, I couldn't pay attention to a single word he said.

My mind wandered aimlessly. Words from our conversation at lunch, images of Brett's face, and nerves about the upcoming night consumed me, pulling me out of reality and allowing me to lose myself in this Brett bubble I was too familiar with.

He's driving me crazy, I thought.

Glancing down at my notebook in front of me, I reddened immediately. The margins of the paper were full of doodles of tiny hearts, decorated by the word Brett written in cursive. I was so lost in my own head that I didn't even realize I was drawing my thoughts onto the paper in front of me. I quickly picked up my pencil and coloured over the doodles, hoping the students beside me hadn't seen.

Slouching down in my chair, I blinked rapidly to clear my head of all things Brett.

Easier said than done, I thought.

Sighing, I focused my attention back to the front of the room where Mr. Wright's bushy white hair now took up my vision.

* * *

An hour later, the bell rang and class was dismissed. Before I could go to fourth period, I had to stop by my locker and retrieve a textbook.

Holding the lock in my hand, I turned the dial to enter my combination, hearing the satisfying click when it popped open.

I shoved my math textbook into the top shelf, exchanging it for my biology one when a loud smack caught my attention. I turned my head to the left and saw Jenny leaning on the locker beside mine, blowing her neon pink bubblegum into a large bubble before popping it and repeating the process.

Her cat-eyes watched me thoughtfully as she twirled a curl around her finger.

"Did you need something?" I asked, glancing down at my phone. I had three minutes before class began.

"Rumour has it my favourite couple broke up. I'm sorry, Becca," she pouted dramatically, her voice sounding anything but apologetic. The hint of a smile played on her lips, her eyes watching me challengingly.

I rolled my eyes and shut my locker, not wanting to explain myself to her or engage in this never-ending game. Before I could turn and walk away, her hand shot out, her fingers wrapping around my arm like claws, turning me to face her.

"You can't really be surprised that it ended, right? You and Brett are on, like, two different sides of the social ladder." Her voice dripped venom, intending to hurt me with every word that rolled off her tongue.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, my tone mirroring hers as I straightened my shoulders and stared at her squarely. She wanted a challenge and I would give her one. I was sick of hiding and letting Jenny walk all over me.