Chapter Five

"Who was that?"

I vaguely registered that Aaron had asked a question. My mind was still racing from the fact that Jaxon Steele had come back. It had been two years since I had seen him last. And now he was back?

Wallace walked over and put her hand on my shoulder. I knew everyone was staring at me, waiting for me to answer, but I barely noticed.

"It's been far too long."

I stepped away from Wallace's hand.                  

"A real gun? You haven't held one in years."

I stepped up to the pile of weapons.

"No... You held one yesterday."

I started picking up my weapons, his words echoing in my head.

Yesterday. Yesterday. Yesterday. Yesterday.

He knew. He knew that I had started carrying a gun again yesterday. But how? He'd have to have been watching me.

No. He couldn't have. Could he?

I looked down at the last weapon at my feet. I slowly bent down and picked it up.

It was the knife I had taken from his pocket. It was small and silver, with J.S. carved into the side. Jaxon would never forget this, it was too important to him. That meant that he had left it here on purpose. I ran my hand along the edge.

Everything clicked into place as my thumb brushed against a little button on the side of the knife.

The button caused a frequency to go through any security cameras within a certain distance, making them malfunction and making it so you could have a conversation without worrying about it being overheard.

A plan came to me as I thought about that.

Keeping my head down so that my hair blocked my face, I brought my hand up like I was trying to stop tears from flowing from my eyes. I hit the button on the side of the knife and the buzzing told me that it was working.

"Do not react. Pretend I haven't said anything," I said. Their lack of response told me everyone was listening, probably curious to see if I had finally gone completely nuts. "I don't have time to explain right now, but we need to leave. I am going to run out the door shortly. Wallace, you will announce that we are done for the day. The rest of you, hang around for a couple minutes. Collect your things and get out. Don't rush. In one hour exactly, you all need to be at the back entrance. In the meantime, go home, pack a bag for a couple of days. Don't make it obvious and don't let anyone know where you are going. Exactly one hour from the second the door closes behind me, you better be at the back door." I pressed the button again, and the cameras were fully functioning again. I lowered my hand and slipped the knife into my pocket.

"On second thought Wallace, I'll take you up on that offer to take the day off," I said.

With my head still down, I walked out the front door.