Chapter Forty-five

I stared at Xavier to see if he was joking, but in fact he wasn't.

Shouldn't I be happy? Right now I had no idea how to feel.

John is dead. Gone. Just like Damien. After what John has done to us I thought I'd be happy that he's gone out of our lives.

"What?" I asked feeling like I misheard him.

"Your father, John, is dead" Xavier repeated slower and louder.

"How? Did he suicide? Died from cancer? Car crash? Or did he just look in the mirror?" I sputtered out any thoughts that came to mind.

"No, somebody else killed him" Xavier said leaning back in his chair slightly amused.

Here we go again. The mood swings. How can you be amused when someone is dead?

"Who?" I asked.

"One of our rival gangs" Xavier replied.

Well if John is dead. Where's mum? The sudden realisation hit me. Did they kill her too?

"Where's my mum?" I asked worried.

"She wasn't home. She found John's body and called you. Your phone just happened to be laying nearby when she called. We took the body and cleaned the crime scene" Xavier explained taking a deep breath at the end.

I ignored the fact that he answered my phone without my permission and focused on the current situation. 

"Ok. Where is she now?" I asked taking in the information.

"We offered her a place to stay but she denied the offer" Xavier said slightly confused. Since when was mum like this? The mum I used to know would accept straight away. For her own safety of course.

I tried finding the emotions that should be whirling around in me. But that's the thing, there was no emotion. I felt nothing. Maybe relief.

"What should I be feeling?" I asked Xavier feeling confused.

He shrugged. "How would I know?"

I gave him a pointed look. "Your parents died" I replied not caring about me being blunt.

I realised what I meant but didn't give me the answer I wanted. "I guess sadness, but you are only showing signs of relief" Xavier frowned staring deeply at me.

I started to feel bad. Is it bad to feel relief? He was a shit person but he's still a human being and shouldn't I be a bit more respectful.

"Well can I see the body?" I asked slightly hesitating.

I didn't know why I wanted to see the body. Maybe I wanted to see if he really was dead. Or maybe I just wanted to get some closure.

"No" Xavier replied without hesitation.

"Why not?" I asked scrunching my face in confusion.

"Trust me. You don't want to" Xavier replied loud and clearly.

"I want to see the body" I said suddenly getting irritated.

"No" Xavier replied again.

"For goodness sake this is my life, you are not in control. So stop acting like my boss and let me choose my decisions. I want to see the body" I replied my voice surprisingly strong and powerful.

Xavier hesitated giving me a distant look.

"Are you sur-" Xavier started.

"Yes, I am sure" I replied cutting him off.

Xavier glanced at me one more time before picking up his phone.

"Bring the body here. I want it here as soon as possibly. Tomorrow night the latest" Xavier said on the phone and hung up.

I waited for his reply. "Tomorrow night" Xavier said waiting for me to go.

"Well? Get out" Xavier replied seriously. I rolled my eyes at his gentlemen behaviour.

"What a gentlemen. I was hoping you'd escort me to my room" I said sarcastically.

"Oh yeah, I forgot" Xavier muttered mainly to himself going through some papers.

"Wouldn't be the first time." I mumbled rolling my eyes.

Xavier ignored my comment and handed me a piece of paper.

I read the papers and looked at Xavier and gave him a pointed look. A new school?

"You can make yourself useful for once in your life. Plus Chantelle goes there" Xavier replied like he hated my existence. Well, he probably does.

"All of your schools maps and required books are on there. You'll be starting tomorrow" Xavier waved me off, focusing his attention on his laptop.

"And the limo will be waiting for you outside every morning at 8:15" Xavier replied casually.

"Really? I can walk there myself, you know? Besides I have legs for a reason" I mumbled. Seriously? I don't want to go in a limo. Who rides a limo to school?

"Well it's not like you use them anyway" Xavier mumbled under his breath.

"Excuse me, I use these beauties everyday" I replied staring down at my nicely tanned legs.

"Whatever, you'd be late for school anyway if you walk" Xavier mumbled again.

"You're a jerk, you know that right?"

He didn't even glance at me. "Only the irrelevant people tell me that"

My mouth fell open. Literally. I huffed and walked back to my room where Chantelle lay on my bed. Next to her was a bowl of chips and a tub of ice-cream.

Chantelle looked my way and her face lightened up.

"So I was wondering if we could have a movie night" Chantelle said cheerfully.

"I'm guessing no isn't an answer" I asked.

"It's either yes or yes. Which one" Chantelle replied still smiling.

"The third option. I think it was the no option" I said smiling back.

"Why?" Chantelle asked half frowning and half scowling.

"Because I have school tomorrow" I replied trying to pickout my outfit for tomorrow.

"Bummer" Chantelle mumbled.

Something clicked in her mind. "Oh wait I do too! Are you going to the same school as me?" Chantelle asked.

"No I'm going to a school two hours away" I replied sarcastically.

"Funny" Chantelle replied making her way to my bedroom door grabbing the snacks.

"Well I better get going so you can get a good night sleep for your first day of school" Chantelle continued.

"Can't wait" I replied sarcastically rolling my eyes.

××

So I know this chapters a bit short but the next chapter will be longer.

Because it's gonna be a longer chapter I will be updating on Thursday.
Remember to comment and vote
~ Ashley.