Chapter 17

I couldn't believe they'd arrested me. This was the craziest thing that had ever happened to me. Or maybe the second craziest; after all, I had presided over a shooting spree only the day before.

Technically, I didn't actually get to prison. They put me in jail, which I discovered was just the name of the cages inside police headquarters. They tried to talk to me, but I just kept saying that I wanted my lawyer.

By the time I arrived at my arraignment, there was a stable of male lawyers and a token woman sitting at my table. I wondered if Ancien would be picking up the tab for this or if I would have to pay for it myself, since I wasn't technically CEO anymore. I could afford it, but I certainly didn't like the idea of throwing away this much money on total nonsense.

"Just sit down, smile, and don't speak unless spoken to first," said the best-looking lawyer of the lot; he had a smile that could charm a pig. If it weren't for that smile, I probably would have been insulted. "We'll handle this, and you'll be a free woman by lunchtime."

I nodded and said, "Who are you?"

"Heath Lemming. Happy to meet you."

"All rise for the Honorable Judge Albright."

"You may be seated," said the judge. She looked wise but stern, with a frown that seemed baked onto her face.

The judge studied a piece of paper before saying, "You seem to have found yourself in the middle of quite the situation here."

"Your Honor," said the District Attorney. "Ms. Valencia fled a crime scene and has been uncooperative in our investigation of the events at the New York Stock Exchange yesterday."

"I didn't flee. Nobody seemed to want to talk to me. I went to the police department just yesterday to see if I could help with—"

"Excuse me, Ms. Valencia. Sit down. You will have a chance to speak, but if you speak out of turn, I will find you in contempt of court."

Heath grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back down into my seat. He made a tsk-ing sound through his teeth and shook his head.

The DA continued, "Then this morning, our main suspect escaped from prison, and Ms. Valencia was found at the scene just minutes later. We have evidence that shows there are ties between the suspect and Ms. Valencia. She is now a key person of interest in our case. She is also a flight risk. She has no ties to New York and plenty of means. She is rich. Your Honor, we are requesting that she be held without bail."

"This is ridiculous, Your Honor." Finally, Heath stood. "Ms. Valencia has been fully cooperative with authorities the entire time and has no interest in fleeing. She's the CEO of Ancien, one of the biggest and hottest startups in the world. She has absolutely no interest in harming her own company's reputation by helping some kid escape prison. This whole thing has been a misunderstanding. Why don't we dismiss the case and let Ms. Valencia speak to the police as any other regular citizen would?"

The judge nodded at Heath and then at the District Attorney.

"If only it were so easy to dismiss every case that comes through here. It would certainly save the state a lot of money. Alas, we still have due process to uphold here in New York. Even though from what I have just heard, these charges appear to be grossly overzealous and unlikely to hold any water in a trial, Ms. Valencia will still have to go through the motions. Bail is set at five hundred thousand dollars."

And with a slam of the gavel, it was all over.

As I stood up to shake his hand, Heath whispered in my ear, "Told you, free as a bird."

"But what about bail?"

Heath nodded at the female lawyer, who was typing furiously on her BlackBerry.

"Jackie's handling bail. Don't worry about the money—you're one of our VIP clients. We know you're good for it. As I said, you'll be out of here before lunch. Of course, the cops will still want to speak with you about the Flanagan case. But I'll be in the room with you the whole time, so they won't try to pull anything like this again. Once they finish with you, they'll drop the charges and this will all one big bad dream."

"Except for the bill."

"Yes, well, there is that. Just do me one favor?"

I thought this was a rhetorical question, but he evidently wanted an answer. I nodded.

"Don't leave New York."