Chapter Nine

"If the full moon loves you, why worry about the stars?" An African Proverb

Although a few months had already flown by, things didn't seem to get any easier. Perli still found it difficult to get comfortable with the thought of being a wife to a well-known businessman; especially now that the media had managed to get some images of them together in public. She hated the attention that hovered around her like a thick cloud.

'Love scandal,' so their marriage had been tagged for the past months. But what scandal was there in their marriage, anyway?

"Ignore them. They only remind us that our lives are more interesting," Jack would always say to her. Unlike her, he was used to the attention. However, she couldn't simply ignore 'them' as he advised her to, not when they were right in her face.

She let out an annoyed sigh. Even as she sat and waited, she hated the unwanted attention she had drawn from the students around. Things felt different; the attention felt foreign. People barely knew she existed before the marriage. Now, they couldn't stop bugging her. Despite all the attention, she felt alone, even more, that now Jack had left the country to tend to his father's business in the US. She would admit, a little part of her soul missed him, even their constant arguments and bickering.

He had urged her to come along for the few months that he was due to be there, but she refused. His father couldn't stand the sight of her. Knowing she would be subjected to his glares and looks of disgust was something she couldn't bear. Besides, a new academic year had long commenced, and her education was of more importance than her desire to travel.

"I'll call him later," she whispered to herself, smiling at the thought of hearing Jack's voice.

"Well, well, well." Claps accompanied the words. "Bheka ukuthi ngubani onqume ukuvakashela!" a familiar voice echoed a tease.

Perli's smile lengthened. It always amused her how much Zulu, her friend, who came from an Afrikaans background, had learned over the years. She met her face with a playful frown. "Oh, shut up Elizabeth!" she commanded. "Do you know how long I've been waiting for you?"

"Oh, sorry your highness, I didn't know I had to care." Liz raised her brows, placing her hands quickly on her hips.

Perli studied her from head to toe with amusement. Liz was clothed in those dark cotton pants with a leather patch at the knee, which she had concluded was her favourite pair of pants. Somehow, they always made her look curvier and taller than she was. Her hair left loose, perfectly shaped her oval face and made her green eyes very noticeable.

Perli immediately smiled when she noticed she was wearing an I love Barbie tank top under her jacket. She shook her head.

Liz was always going to be Liz.

"So no hug?" Perli questioned her, standing up and stretching her arms towards her.

With a smile, Liz adjusted her one-shoulder bag and playfully glided towards Perli on the ground as if it had been covered with ice. Her legs moved graciously on the ground, her movement resulting in her Havana brown hair sweeping across her face.

When she got close enough to hug her, her usual mischievous smirk softly touched her face. She gently wrapped her arms around her, before whispering, "Yes hug," and crushed the life out of her bones.

"Okay, okay!" Perli chuckled breathlessly, her hands pressing against Liz's shoulders to push her away. It was of no use, Liz's strength was like that of a thousand men and ten bulls.