Thanks For Being Overprotective, But Also, Stop Being An Ass

~~~~

Excuse the mistakes

Picture of Nick (Brant Daugherty) on the side --->

Chapter dedicated to my lovely sister, sprite_flyte! She writes beautiful poetry and I want all of you to go check her out!

~~~~

“Open your eyes, ref! That was a cheap shot!”

I threw my hands up over my head in frustration, but the referee just ignored me and my cries of protest. After watching Nick’s teammate, who’d gotten cross-checked into the boards, get up and skate over to the bench, I collapsed onto my seat in a huff, and I crossed my arms over my chest.

“This freaking ridiculous,” I muttered, my mouth twisting into a grumpy scowl, “I mean, that was so obvious and yet the asshole didn’t get called!”

It was taking all of my will power not to kick the soda out of the hand of the college guy in front of me in irritation. Even though Cornell was winning the game by a goal, it was going terribly. The other team, some college from Rochester whose name I couldn’t remember, was getting dirtier as the game progressed, and our team was suffering. Luckily, no one had gotten seriously hurt, but if the referees kept being so oblivious, someone would.

Is it a requirement to be blind when you sign up to be a ref?

“Kels,” Dane said, laying a hand on my shoulder lightly, “it’s just a game. There are only four minutes left; it’s going to be fine.”

I turned to face him slowly, and if it was possible, my scowl twisted even more. “Four minutes is a long time,” I replied through clenched teeth, “If the other team keeps up like this, someone could get a damn concussion in the next four minutes.”

Dane looked like he wanted to say something, but instead, he looked past me at my dad, who was sitting on the right side of me. “Is she always like this?” he asked, and my dad snorted.

“Oh, she can get a lot worse,” my dad stated with a chuckle, “One time, when we came up to see Nick’s first game, Kelsey managed to get in a fight with another parent, and it got so bad that security had to—”

“He deserved it!” I interrupted, not wanting my dad to go into the painful details, “he was encouraging his giant lump of a kid to get penalties.”

“That is true,” my dad said with a nod, “He was being a jackass, but that doesn’t mean you can grab his—”

“Can we be done now?” I demanded loudly, and I winced as the people in front of us turned around and glared at me. I shot them an apologetic look before glaring back up at my dad. “Let’s stop bringing up the past, okay? It’s something I had to live down, and I’d prefer not to have to do that again, father dearest.”

“Okay, okay,” my dad, replied, putting his hands up in the air in surrender, “I’ll stop. Besides, someday, I’m sure we’ll have a repeat of that little episode, and I’m going to make sure to record it and post it on YouTube.”

“How do you know about YouTube?” I asked crankily, “I mean, aren’t you supposed to be old or something?”

My dad let out a playful gasp and shoved me in the arm, making me lose my balance and fall over into Dane. “I may be ‘old’, but I don’t live under a rock,” my dad said, “I know all of the hip things going on right now.”