Chapter Twenty-Five

My heart was pulsing loudly in my chest as my thoughts ran away with me. It was silly. Theo had released his grasp on my hand and was seated with disinterest on his adjacent sofa. He had allowed me his presence, but if he had it his way, I would get nothing else. He held his eyes closed, turning his face away from me as if allowing himself to drift to sleep. I let my eyes wander over his lean form, pleased just to be able to look at him.

Theo remained unmoved, except for his hand. His fingers tapped against the arm of his chair in a quick rhythm. When my eyes were caught by the movement, I began to notice a pattern. His rhythm changed with the beat of my heart, echoing it as a clear signal that he could hear my nerves loud and clear.

I turned and collapsed on my back on the sofa, unable to bear his silent taunts.

"Are you bored of me, yet?" I heard the smile in his voice and I resisted turning to catch it in my sight knowing he would hide it from me. I turned my head towards the back of the sofa I was on, its leather familiar and cold.

"I remember when I first met you," I said quietly, a small smile rising on my lips, "You called me a dull human and a moron."

"Do you want an apology for every bad thing I've said and done? Because that will probably take us a few days," Theo answered in monotone. I turned to glance at him, noticing he had halted his fingers. I pushed myself to sit up before standing to head towards the bathroom. I paused, looking back at him thoughtfully.

"I wasn't asking for an apology," I told him simply. "I thought you were cold. Dangerous. Irritating sometimes. But I never held it against you... not for long." Forgiveness came easy to me, no matter how ill-advised it was. Sometimes, I felt I could forgive an injury before it even happened.

I wandered into the bathroom absently, freeing Theo of my presence for a while. I wondered briefly if he would use this chance to escape my company. He was so closed off. He was hard to get close to.

When I stepped back into the room, Theo was seated in front of the piano. His fingers lightly danced over the keys, tapping out a quiet tune around him. I watched him silently, standing mesmerized as the music played from his heart. It had to be real; that emotion he could twist into those notes.

I approached him cautiously, my body swaying absently as I did so. And then I dared to be brave. I reached for him, my fingers slipping into his soft hair gently. He didn't halt. He had known I was there all along.

I trailed my hand through his hair affectionately as he played and then I ran my fingers over his neck and down his spine carefully. I returned my touch to the base of his neck before leaning forward, reaching to run my hand along his chest as I embraced him from behind once again. Theo stumbled over his notes, momentarily losing his composure, and I tilted my lips towards his ear.

"Keep playing," I requested quietly before lightly kissing his earlobe.

"Katia," Theo warned; his voice low and dangerous.

"Either you keep playing," I responded with my own warning, "Or I'll start taking off my clothes." Theo hesitated a moment and I smiled, pleased by his reaction. For a second, I wondered if he would call me on my threat, but then he seemed to snap out of his thoughts and began to play with new determination. I would have been offended except that I could clearly see I had flustered him.

After a few moments, I began to continue my exploration of his body. I placed butterfly kisses along his neck and over his shoulder, reaching to touch his flesh under his shirt. His skin was like a cool breeze on a hot summer night. It was so different from the heated touch of the others, which felt bright like pleasant flames against my own flesh.