Chapter 17

Nate

I burst through the front door without bothering to say hello to the guys.

I headed straight to Lia's room.

I opened the door and the sight before me weakened my knees.

My sunshine...

"Lia?" I said softly. "It's me. Nate."

No response.

I forced my legs to work and walk towards her.

"Sunshine?"

Nothing.

I sat on the bed in front of her.

"Baby, it's me. Come back to me, Sunshine," I said my voice cracking.

Finally she looked at me.

Tears immediately welled in her eyes.

"Nate?" She asked timidly.

"It's me," I said holding my arms out to her.

"Nate!" She cried out as she threw herself at me, wrapping her arms tightly around me.

I hugged her just as tight.

"Shh... It's okay. I'm here. I'm here. I'm not leaving you again. I'm so sorry, Sunshine."

She sobbed in my arms. I held her to me, as I rocked her back and forth.

I don't know how long we stayed that way, but I was completely content to hold my Sunshine in my arms.

I found my own eyes welling with tears. My heart was breaking at the sight of her. At how vulnerable she is... How fragile. I wish I was enough to make it all better for her. But I'm not. I'm clearly not enough.

She peered up at me.

I kissed the top of her head and wiped away her tears.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left you," I said softly.

She shook her head. "You had to. And it's not your fault."

"What happened?"

She sniffed. "I... I fell asleep I guess," she said. "I hadn't planned on it," she said.

"It must have been a bad one... I'm sorry, Sunshine," I said hating myself for being stupid enough to actually think she'll be okay without me.

"Stop saying sorry. None of this is your fault," she insisted, as she sniffed.

"Will you talk to me about it? The dreams?"

"I'm surprised it's not in your brief," she muttered.

"What you've told the police is all that's in my brief. But knowing you, I know that there is a lot more to the story. A lot more that you don't want to share with anyone, but Sunshine, I just want to help you. Sometimes it helps to talk about it," I said.

"Nate, it's not that I don't trust you, because I do. I've never trusted anyone as much as I trust you. I let you touch me. Hold me, and... And...," she stammered as she blushed.

"And kiss you?" I offered.

She nodded. "But there are things... Nate I did some things that... I... I just can't, Nate. I can't. So please. I'm begging you. Don't ask me. Don't ask me to share, because... Because I can't bare it," she said, as she started sobbing again.

I nodded in understanding. "Shh... Shh... Don't cry. I won't force you to tell me. Just don't cry," I said. "I just hate that I can't do more for you."