09 | nurse

WEDGED BETWEEN TWO FRIGHTENED STUDENTS, Principal Fisher is struggling to make his way to our end of the hallway.

His voice croaks like a toad's while he yells, "Students, get to class. Now!"

The effect of adult presence is immediate — no fight is worth getting in trouble — and the movement starts again. Like frantic ants, students scramble past each other to get to class.

The largest ant of all, Principal Fisher, finds it a battle to just get to us. Hopefully, he is too far away to recognise who participated in the brawl. Brittany rallies her friends, keeping her composure under strict control while the rush of people and rustle of gossip threaten to sweep all else away.

Madison's eyelid drops smoothly into a wink — giving me a millisecond's look at her shimmery eyeshadow — as she sweeps by to Brittany. Terrence avoids my hateful gaze. I would like to believe his guilt is acidic in its concentration, corrosive, painful to bear. But hardly a gasp slipped from him during the ordeal, leaving his humanity up for questioning at present.

A victorious smile on her despicable face, Brittany says, "This isn't over, honey."

Her voice is misleading. The words sound perfectly sweet; but I know there's a row of needles nestled inside.

"Why would it be over? I'm counting on a long fight, honey."

Reece gives Benjamin and Drew one last menacing glower. At a cough from Brittany, he walks obediently away. Even in a headless frenzy, students still dash out of the way of the Monarchy. Those five kids; an aura of elevated status clings to them — and each poor teenager on the end of Brittany's heeled kick — like an aerosol spray. Those five kids; they're sick.

After they fade out of sight, Benjamin limps over to Leah and Delaney, who regard him with gentle words and faces pinched with sympathy and concern. Any weight on his leg makes him hiss in pain — but to his credit, I saw Reece walking away with a few battle scars of his own. I will take pleasure in seeing that bruised cheekbone until it heals.

"I'm fine." The clenched jaw and slight twitching of his lips say much otherwise, but I take Benjamin's word with relief.

Delaney frowns, "You're deluded. Why—"

Leah's hands tremble as she picks up Benjamin's bag for him. I also noticed how he winced when he tried to bend his knees. Strands of his hair stick up, curl over his forehead and stick to his neck with sweat.

"Thank you," Benjamin breathes, preparing himself almost like he plans to go to class. "I'll take Drew to the nurse."

"No," I decline. "I'll take him."

"Sophie, it's no problem," Benjamin stares tiredly at me, eyelids dragged down by pain and fatigue. "I have a free period."

I shake my head, "You go get yourself checked out. Drew has to take his time getting there."

Benjamin's intent posture relaxes immediately. We all look like a sorry lot — some bruised, all tired. And angry. He sighs, "Okay. I'll head on over now."

We watch Benjamin set out, dipping his head casually as he passes Principal Fisher. The stout man is still seeking out anyone related to the fight, red-faced with the exertion of yelling. Leah and Delaney whisper wishes of getting better to Drew, goodbyes to me, and leave for class themselves.

Drew can carry most of his own weight again, and it's the unexpected lift from my shoulders that makes me look at him, worried. His face is starting to swell and colour, almost a painting. Blotches of red and deep brown, like a violent watercolour, Derek the artist.