29 | monopoly

NOTHING ABOUT TERRENCE ADDS UP.

He's rude and fickle, but he makes relentless efforts to talk to me. From the day I sat down on the bus, to the week he spent in detention with me, to singling me out at the Homecoming Fair and the bonfire. I hate to assume he's got a crush, but there is definitely something ulterior underneath his troublesome behaviour.

Think of the devil, and he shall appear. I took a longer shower than usual after Gym class and now I'm late for the next period. When I round the corner, I see Terrence and Reece leaning against the lockers, heads bowed. For some reason, I immediately fling myself back around, hiding from view before they notice me.

Why did I do that?

I'm not afraid of them. I should walk past them with my head held high, not cower like a person trampled by their bullying. My heart is racing, however, and it's not out of fear. As I said, things with Terrence don't add up. I've been thinking about him all weekend, which is more than that troublemaker deserves, and suddenly seeing him in person is too much, too soon.

"Are you bringing anyone to your afterparty?" That's Terrence's voice. They must be talking about one of the notorious sports game afterparties Reece hosts at his house. 

Now that it's early November, the last game of the high school football season is fast approaching. I would attend the game this weekend if I actually cared for football, actually cared for Reece, or had any connection to the attendees of the afterparty. Since I meet none of those criteria, I can look forward to a blissful night of reading my AP English texts and finishing an AP Bio lab report.

"Nah, decided to fly solo this time." From the muffled quality to Reece's deep voice, I gather he's eating something.

"Yeah, right." Terrence scoffs, coldly. "You decided."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Reece asks defensively.

Terrence pauses for a moment as if thinking. "Brittany probably scared off any girl that gets within a mile's distance of you." My eyebrows raise at that. I get that Brittany, the most renowned girl in school, and Reece, the star athlete, would make a good match on paper, but somehow I never pictured them together like that.

"Shut up," Reece growls. "You know she doesn't like me like that."

"I know. You're not her boyfriend. You're her pet—"

Abruptly, I hear scuffling. Perhaps Reece lunged for Terrence. Seconds later, accompanied by a violent shove into the lockers, Terrence huffs, indignantly. There's an angry tone to the way Reece speaks next. "Oh yeah, what about you? Like you have any friends other than us." A brief and slightly awkward pause follows, and in that silence, I contemplate the sad irony in the most popular kids in school being the most lonely, the most isolated.

I know I shouldn't eavesdrop. Not to mention, the longer I stand here the later I become. I could simply take a longer pathway to class instead of incriminating myself by walking around the corner, but I am compelled to listen further. I need to know, to satisfy my curiosity.

"Ha," Reece chuckles at Terrence's silence. "Thought so."

For a long time, I hear nothing. It's likely they've finished their snack and gone to class, but I didn't hear footsteps. Eventually, Terrence asks, "How about Mads and Derek?" I can't see his face, but I can tell Terrence is eager to change the subject.

"I think they're both coming."

"Obviously," Terrence agrees, "Brittany would kill them if they didn't make an appearance."

"Mads said she might bring her brother. Derek said he doesn't want to come. Math homework."

This is new. I'm surprised not because Madison has a brother but, for someone as public as her, because I've never heard of him. To think about such cruel people having families who love them makes me wonder what changed that made them like they are now.