Chapter 13

He was crouched on the ground, as a woman was laid out before him, her large  stomach stretching out the pink dress she had on. She wasn't moving.

"Momma?"

He was scared. First his dad had left and now his mother. He didn't want a baby brother. He told his mother over and over but she had insisted that he would love the baby.

His mother had told him he would never be alone after the baby was born. That having children was a good thing. He stared at his mother and the puddle of blood around her.

Sadness washed over him and he began sobbing, a gut-wrenching sound. He was all alone now and there was nothing he could do about it.

Dani awoke with fresh tears running down her face. She looked around the room and took a deep breath. She was grateful she hadn't yelled and woken Jax.

"I wonder whose dream that was," she whispered as she padded over to a chair in the corner that her sketchbook and pencils were laid on. She picked up her supplies and began drawing the images she had just seen.

Hours later, she found herself in a birthing class with Shelly and Bo Tucker.

"Did you want to try this drink I made?" Shelly asked. "It's full of nutrients and vitamins."

Shelly and Bo were both lanky with red hair and green eyes. If Dani hadn't known they were married, she would've thought they were brother and sister. She looked at Jax and then back at Shelly, "No thanks."

Shelly shrugged, "Well I'm so glad you're okay. When Bo and I found you by the lake, we were so scared. Then we saw your fiance and wanted to run for the hills."

Bo smiled at Jax, "You were pretty worried about her so we understand."

"He reminded me of one of a wild animal," Shelly murmured. "Anyway, it's such a good thing that you're okay. A healthy body makes a healthy baby."

"Thank you again for helping me," Dani said.

"You still don't know what happened? Right before I mean?" Bo asked.

Dani shook her head, "No, I don't but apparently I must've been there while orientation was going on."

"It's a shame," Shelly said. "Such useful information is given during orientation. If you want, I can let you copy my notes."

"Notes?" Dani peeked another glance at Jax who didn't find Shelly's offer amusing.

"How long have you two been attending Majestic Waters?" Jax asked.

"On and off for about six months. We both have jobs so we come on the weekends and on vacation days like this week. Stage one is the toughest stage to beat. Dr. Silverman said one couple took two years to get to stage two."

"You must've known our friends Ryan and Callie," Jax said smoothly.

"Yes, it's a shame about Callie. She finally gets pregnant and then- bam! She's dead," Shelly said, shaking her head.

"You knew she passed away?" Jax asked.

Shelly looked stunned and then sputtered something incoherent. our patted her shoulder, "We talked to Ryan a few days ago. He was devastated."

"I hope we can become good friends too," Shelly said, reaching over to Dani's hands. "When I found you, I was going to give you CPR but Bo stopped me. In stead he carried you to Dr. Silverman and I just knew that we'd be life long friends. How exciting would it be if we got pregnant at the same time? Oh and if you have a girl and I have a boy? They could get married!"

"Shelly, let's not get ahead of ourselves," Bo reminded her.

"Oh you're right what am I saying? It doesn't matter what we have. If they're both boys and fall in love...I'm okay with that too," Shelly said, making Dani's head spin. 

Before any of them could respond, the two doctors that ran Majestic Waters stepped in front of the group. Behind them was the receptionist Genevive, that had checked Dani and Jax in. 

"Hello everyone," Dr. Bart Silverman raised his hands to silence everyone. "As you all know, stage one of the program is the hardest to overcome. It's important that you're ready mentally and physically before we clear you to move onto phase two which is typically when couples become pregnant. Today I'm going to ask each of you to work as a team and set down rules on how you would help one another if you were to become pregnant. Genevive is going to pass some pens and pads around. Remember to write your names on your pads."

"This is like high school all over again," Dani whispered to Jax. 

Shelly glanced at them and placed her finger over her mouth, letting Dani know she was being too loud. 

As the couples began working with one another, Dr. Meredith Silverman walked over to Dani and Jax, her hand on her bulging stomach, "How are you two doing?'

"Pretty good," Jax answered. "Dani here agreed to change diapers if I stay up with the baby at night."

"That's an interesting idea. You two do realize that you'll have to take turns on both tasks, right?" the pregnant doctor said. "Pregnancy is tough on the woman but after the baby is born is when the real work begins. This isn't a joke. You both need to come up with a better plan, okay?"

Dani covered her mouth to stop herself from giggling when Jax gave a contrite expression and apologized to the female doctor. She nodded and walked over to a different couple.

"Way to get us in trouble, Jaxass," Dani joked.

"How are you two doing?" Dr. Bart Silverman asked, echoing his wife's earlier words.

"Panda Eyes and I are still working on it."

"Panda Eyes?" Dr. Silverman asked. "Is that a cute nickname you have for her?"

"Sometimes. I also like to call her Dani-cake, Snickerdoodle, or Hot Stuff," Jax lied.

"Terms of endearment are good between a couple. How are you feeling by the way Ms. Deleon?" Dr. Silverman placed a hand on Dani's forehead, causing her to flinch. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." He laid his hand on her shoulder, giving it a slight squeeze, making her feel a little uncomfortable. 

"I'm fine," Dani assured him. 

"Well if you ever need anything. Anything at all...just let me know, okay?" he gave her shoulder another squeeze before moving on to another couple. 

"I don't know why but that doctor gives me the shivers," Dani whispered to Jax who was staring after Bart Silverman with narrowed eyes. 

"Would it have been weird if I told him not to touch you?" Jax asked.

"Probably," Dani said wanting to grin.

"I figured as much. It's the only reason I didn't. How dare he touch you when I'm right here."

Dani gave a nervous laugh, "So jealous Jax rears his head again."

"I guess so. I'm going to call Roberto. I'll be back in a bit, okay? If they ask, just say I went to the restroom," Jax said.

Dani nodded. After Jax had mentioned using the restroom, Dani felt the need to use the ladies room. She quietly stepped out of the room and took a wrong turn to find herself staring at Dr. Bart Silverman and Genevive. She quickly hid behind a corner wall and listened to their conversation. 

"I saw you with that dark-haired girl. You were touching her," Genevive said quietly.

Dani heard Dr. Silverman sigh, "I'm a doctor. Of course I was touching her. She was hurt. Is there anything else you wanted to say to me?"

"Yeah right. I should tell your wife how you're acting."

"Genevive, by all means, feel free to tell Meredith. She'll understand. She's a doctor too. Why did you insist on speaking with me?" 

"You know why," Genevive said angrily.

"No, I don't know why. You've been acting very weird lately. I know you're pregnant but what's going on with you?"

Genevive laughed bitterly, "Sure, act like you don't know."

"Know what?"

"That the baby I'm carrying is yours."