Ch. 34 Working for a Living

A couple days later, I was in the office, still working on the deal my father never seemed to get through to finalizing.

I was in a pink blouse and a black pencil skirt. I was wearing heels, too. Everything I wore was so different than what I was used to wearing to work at the hospital.

It was my day off and I was working. I wasn't happy about it, but I was in charge. I had to get stuff done.

I walked into the office with Diane on my heels.

My grandfather was at his desk.

I went into his office. "Are they here, yet?"

"Yes. Conference room one."

"Let's go," I spoke.

He stood and followed me to the conference room.

The moment I walked in, their mouths dropped open.

"Good morning, gentlemen. I'm Dr. Bridget Malone. My father worked with you on a de, but it was never finalized. I've come up with a proposition a new deal for you," I spoke.

"Father?" one of them balked.

"Yes, sir."

"Doctor?" another questioned in surprise.

"Yes, I'm a surgeon. I'm very smart and I'm here to tell you about this deal. This is my day off and I'm here, so let's get to work."

I sat.

Diane handed me a water and my notes. She placed a pen over it all and passed out copies of the deal to the six men.

As we went through it, I noticed a couple of the guys checking me out.

As we finished discussing the deal, I spoke, "Okay. That's what I think is the best thing to do. You've been a client with us for nearly eight years. You know how we work. You know that we're efficient and always follow through."

They nodded.

Granddad looked surprised.

"So is this something you need time to consider?" I asked.

"It's a great offer. It would make both of our companies very happy," one of them spoke.

"Dr. Malone?" Diane spoke up.

I looked up and turned to her.

"The hospital is calling."

I looked at my pager. "I'm not on call and my pager isn't going off. What do they need?"

"They wouldn't say, ma'am."

"Put them on hold for a minute. I'll be right out."

She nodded and left the room.

I turned back to the men. "Well? Do you have a decision?"

"We gladly accept your offer," one of them smiled.

We all stood and shook hands.

I excused myself and stepped out of the room. I answered the phone, "Dr. Malone."

"Hey, it's Dr. Taylor. I think Jake's ready to be discharged."

"Is he stable?"

"Yes. All his levels are normal."

"Awesome. I-"

Granddad ran from the room. "Bridget, help! We need a doctor!"

"Dr. Taylor, hang on a second."

"Okay."

I went back into the conference room.

One of the older men from the deal was in the floor. He looked pale and his pulse was racing.