Cɦɑpteɾ 48

♫ I'm still hurting, yeah, I'm hurting inside
I'm so scared to fall in love, but if it's you, then I'll try ♫

Charles Leclerc POV

We got a second opinion brought to the hospital by a specialized team. We learned that she was 12 weeks pregnant, that the baby was fine and under no pressure, and that we heard the heartbeat for the first time.

Natalie ended up being right. She knows her limits. The doctors were trying to make it easy on them. The team we hired just suggested bed rest in the hospital for a week to keep her under observation due to the blood loss. That would follow four weeks of complete rest while her body recovered from the accident; after that, she would probably be able to go on like any normal pregnancy would.

What if she hadn't woken up? Would we go ahead in vain?  It has been eating me alive, we could've made a huge mistake and I am glad she was able to make the choice for herself.

"Is this what we want? To have another kid on top of Lucas?" She asked me as the doctors left the room.

"I will do whatever you want, I can try to help. I know I am busy but I will try to help however I can. I love you, and I will love the baby, too; I am here for whatever you choose. If it's too hard then it's too hard, we can do it later," I say as I take her hand in mine.

"I want to go ahead," she says, and I nod.

"Then let's go ahead; we are here for the challenges ahead." I smile before kissing her lips.

The week went by slowly, but as soon as she returned home, everything seemed to go at normal speed. I tried to do different things so it wouldn't get boring for her. I made breakfast in bed, I took her out to picnics and non-stressful things like dinner out and cinema. Whenever I wasn't training or working, my full attention was on them even more than usual for obvious reasons.

Before we knew it, the day we would learn the gender of our baby had arrived. When I woke up, she was on the balcony, so I went to join her. She was clearly worried and tentative, so I didn't want to interrupt her, so I waited a bit.

"I don't know how to tell him. I'm afraid this will make him doubt my love for him, I don't want him to think he is being replaced. He is my first baby; he will always be my first baby," she comments as she leans her head on my shoulder.

"There isn't a way to tell him, but we can show him what he means to us. He will understand it; he knows you love him above everything else," I say as I hug her, and she hugs me back.

"You don't think I am trying to replace him, do you?" She asks fearfully, and I chuckle.

"This was an accident; things happened. You got sick, and maybe that messed with the pill, he is irreplaceable, we both know that, and I do know for a fact you love that kid as your own because he is your son, and that will be legally true at any time now," I say proudly, and she smiles as she looks up at me.

"Do you think he should come to the ultrasound? I don't want him to feel left out. I want him to be with us and to live it with us," she mentions as we head inside, and I nod.

"I think that will help him get used to the change. Do you want to do a gender reveal? Or will we know it at the doctor's?" I ask curiously as we get dressed up. Today, we would have breakfast out, and then we would head to the appointment.

"I would like a gender reveal with the families," she had this gushy smile on her face that made me smile even more.

"Everything you want, mon amour. Gender reveal, baby shower, new car, new house, everything," I finish getting dressed, and I hear her laugh.

"Don't spoil me so much; you got me used to it by now," she jokes as she heads out of the room, and I follow her.

Lucas was already dressed when we entered his room, and he knew we had something to say; I could see his curiosity peaking as he saw our faces while we sat on his bed to be more leveled with his much smaller height.

"Is everything alright?" He asks as he stares at both of us.

"We have something to tell you," I say calmly, and he nods, expecting what will come next.

"You are having a sibling. I'm pregnant, baby," Nat says nervously. He is shocked at first, but then he smiles and gently touches her belly.

"Thank you," he mutters before softly caressing her belly, and I see his little pout.

"For what?" She asks confusedly.

"For giving me a sibling, it's easier to be a kid when other kids are around. Do you think I will be a good big brother?" He asks curiously, and she nods happily.

"You will be the best big brother," she says, kissing his face while he giggles.

It's safe to say he was happy about being a big brother, and we were happier once we got out of the appointment knowing the baby was healthy and the heartbeat was damn great; the doctor said it was growing up just fine, and every follow-up appointment for Natalie was the same, only her wrist was recovering but it was almost time to take the cast off.

Her thigh recovered, and it left a somewhat big scar, but with some treatment, she could have it almost unnoticeable. The truck driver was proven to be driving under the influence and he was also driving more hours than he should've. We will see what happens since he almost killed my wife and my kid.