Darkest Nights

*Julia*

I get into my SUV, ready to head out to the studio, but something feels off. I can't pinpoint it. But I can feel it. I pull the seatbelt over my shoulder, click it, and glance over to the passenger window .

Something catches my eye that makes me uneasy.

There's a black SUV parked in the corner of the Marriott parking lot. Near the dumpster. The exact same spot Nate parked that rainy night we went driving.

The SUV is parked but running which just seems weird. The windows are tinted. I feel like I've seen this car before a few times now.

I look at the time on the dashboard and realize I'm going to be late if I don't start driving. I push the weird feeling in my stomach down and exit the parking lot.
*****
*Nate*

Julia's number pops up on my phone. Weird. She NEVER calls me. Maybe she's running late. Which is also unlike her, she's always here before me.
I accept the call.

"Hi, what's up?"

"Nate, I think someone's following me." Julia's voice sounds panicky . Something's wrong.

"What? What do you mean? Where are you?" I jolt up off the couch. My heart starts beating faster.

"I'm here, in the parking lot. Nate, I've seen this car before. A few times now.. it was at the hotel parked near the dumpster we were parked that night. Just sitting there, but the car was running." Julia's voice cracked. She's talking so fast that I almost couldn't understand her.

I rush to the window and look down at the lot. I see my Range Rover, Julia, parked right next to me, still in her rental car, and a few random sedans. I look over to the other lot. That same black SUV I saw not long ago. Parked, but with the engine running.

"Shit, just stay right there, ok? Don't get out. I'm coming down."

"Ok."

This is really happening again, isn't it. I grab my keys and a random folder and run to the lobby doors.

"Jules, I'm gonna come out and pretend to put something in my car. When I do, you get out, and I will greet you and walk in with you, OK love?"

"Yeah, ok," her voice is shaking.

I hang up and walk outside with my folder. I avoid looking at the running SUV, unlock my door, and throw the random folder on the seat.

Julia gets out of her car, gives me a fake little smile , waves hello, and walks to the building. I follow a few feet behind and hear behind me, the SUV skids out of the lot.

"Ok, so I'm not imagining things, right?" Julia looks shaken up. 'Maybe I'm overthinking.."

"You're not. Come on." I walk ahead of her to the studio room.

Fuck. This was one of the things that started breaking Macy down. This same fucking thing. Once we are both in the room I shut the door. There's still a few other people here and a band rehearsing down the hall.

"Nate, what's going on?"

"It's probably one of Susan's." I start pacing. Susan hardy loves to send one of her minions, usually an intern, but sometimes another reporter working with her, to follow . Take pictures, intimidate, make people feel on edge. No one can ever get proof to make a case out of it.

"Susan? Who's Susan?" Julia's voice gets a little higher.

Right, how would Julia know what I'm talking about. This is all new to her. I realize I'm pacing and see it's making Julia more nervous so I sit on the couch and tap the cushing next to me signaling for her to sit.