Chapter 10 - The Heart of Glass

The companions fought their way through the glassy forest

The companions fought their way through the glassy forest. Now that the guardian of this place had been defeated, the eerie silence returned. No animal chirped, crowed, sang, or chittered. Not a leaf rustled in the wind, not a twig cracked, not a stream babbled quietly—a place frozen in time and in its immobile beauty. The only sounds were the footsteps of Lir and Cian stomping over stalks of glass, leaves, and undergrowth.

Cian could hardly bear the eerie silence. Although everything was beautiful to look at and perhaps even be called pretty, it all radiated an unpleasant, lifeless coldness that was a nuisance to the spirits of nature. His sensitive ears rebelled against the unnatural noises, and although he knew the danger behind them, he had the urgent feeling that he had to leave this place as quickly as possible.

Lir was no different. She kept bumping into an obvious tree, for even the eyes in her humanoid form were confused by the shimmer of the glass. Her soft features had formed a dissatisfied expression with the help of her curved, light-colored brows, which also pulled the corners of her mouth down a little.

The attentive raven lady also seemed to sense his aversion to this place, which was repugnant to her nature. She quickened her steps and finally led them to what, on closer inspection, looked like an oversized nest.

"That was the basilisk's nest," the fox realized, raising her head to look at the structure's glass walls. How had the basilisk built without breaking a single branch of glass? A faint light emanated from the dwelling, and the closer they got, the more pervasive Cian felt the power surrounding them. A hot tingling that got under his skin made him spread his fingers on the shaft of his spear and close them again to feel the familiar wood under his hands.

"Cian, look, there." Lir's voice made him turn his gaze. The Raven had circled the nest once and then stopped at the side. As he walked around the nest, he discovered a large, round cavity where she was pointing - presumably the entrance to this structure. But what fascinated him even more at first was the sight of his mate.

Her light-coloured hair, still streaked with whitish bloodstains and her own red, blew in the balmy breeze like a veil around her beautiful face. The light of the evening sun and the ghostly rays from the den wrapped her in a cloak of shimmering, shiny feathers and shards of glass.