Chapter 1 - The Fae, the Fox & the Raven

Heilyn placed one needle stitch after another carefully and meticulously

Heilyn placed one needle stitch after another carefully and meticulously. Her slender, white hands practiced every movement, creating an impressive work of art from a piece of fabric and a blue thread. As so often, she embroidered after her work was done. This time, however, her motif was not a plant or one of the animals she cared for almost daily but her two companions. She was trying to capture Cian's night-black, almost bluish-shimmering fur.

Even in his humanoid form, some of it was visible, as he wore the magnificent fur as a lush coat around his shoulders and rarely took it off. The tall man with the lithe body that lived up to his true form, a jet-black fox, sat at the massive wooden table and carefully cleaned his weapon. He had been using the Spear to protect Heilyn from all harm since he could breathe. But he wasn't the only one keeping her company.

Lir was everything Cian was not. That was the best way to describe her. Her white-blond hair positively glowed compared to the midnight-black waves that fell around his prominent chin. Cian's skin was so pale that it seemed almost translucent and sometimes had a bluish tinge in the dull light of the moon, quite unlike Lir, whose sun-kissed complexion was also different from Heilyn's milky pallor. Her alert, golden eyes constantly darted around the room as she searched for a needed task. The white feathers around her body moved like a second skin. The shiny plumage was sacred to Lir; after all, it was a remnant of her true form. When she wasn't in the small hut or by the river beyond, she circled in the sky above the dense forest and watched over everything in the form of a white raven.

Heilyn didn't know what she would have done without them. Her companions, protectors, closest friends, family, and most importantly, helpers. They had lived together in one of the most remote forests in the world for so long that neither of them could imagine life without the other.

»Tomorrow, Cian and I will set off for the southern part of the forest.« Lir's voice was warm and smooth as honey. With a hint of a mischievous smile, her gaze flew to Cian, and she added, »Assuming he can keep up.«

The man's dark eyes lifted teasingly to the blonde woman and tilted his head thoughtfully. »At the latest, when your sharp eyes see something you want me to carry for you, you'll return to me. As always,« he replied with amusement.