ONE, fifteen

AS SPIDER HELD LEXA IN HIS ARMS, the pulsing bass of the club music faded into the background, drowned out by the rush of fear coursing through her veins

AS SPIDER HELD LEXA IN HIS ARMS, the pulsing bass of the club music faded into the background, drowned out by the rush of fear coursing through her veins. Her heart hammered against her ribs, and she struggled to catch her breath.

"Lexa, it's me," Spider murmured, his voice a soothing, "You're good. Lex, you're good. It's okay."

Lexa's hands clenched the fabric of Spider's shirt, her knuckles turning white. She forced herself to focus on the steady rhythm of his heartbeat beneath her fingertips, making herself to calm down.

"I-I know," she stammered, her voice barely above a whisper. "Sorry. I'm sorry. Youre right. I'm good."

Spider's arms tightened around her, offering unwavering support, "Deep breathes."

"Ce qui s'est passé?" He mumbled, knowing she wouldn't understand but that it may calm her down regardless. Amusement always took over when he did.

This time it was lighter, Lexa's unstable breath simplifying as she sniffled, "Is there such thing as french breathing techniques?"

"A French inhale?" He tried to joke, Lexa reciprocating his soft nudge. She shut her eyes for a moment in his arms, the boy running his hands through her hair. His chin was rested lightly on her head, "What happened back there?"

"Just got too much inside, probably like heat stroke," Lexa answered as Spider shook his head, "Yeah, heat stroke in your bra and mini skirt."

"You'd be surprised, it happens," Lexa finally pulled away, looking up at him. She poked, jokingly, "Slut shaming huh?"

"I don't give a shit what you wear, just that whatever that was doesn't happen again," Spider said, "Was it that guy? Who was he?"

He watched as she contemplated right in front of him, Spider furrowing his brows, "The tech fleece tells me half of it."

"Chook's mate, kid I've known forever," She shrugged, "You don't remember Josh Beckett from primary school?"

"Couple years above us," Spider replied, "Didn't realise he went full eshay. That fucking rat tail's munted."

"Matching with Chook," Lexa added. She pushed her hair from her face, stretching out her arms, "If you weren't done in there, you can-"

"I'm not even done with our conversation," Spider shook his head, "Why'd he freak you out like that?"

"Not tonight," Lexa's face dropped, a strained expression coming over her, "Please. My head's spinning and I just wanna go home."

Just when she thought she was fine, cops had started to swarm the place — anticipating kicking out the people. Josh had made a swift exit, the girl unable to avoid a glance. It was like his eyes lingered on her, that he was completely amused.

There it was, that rising suffocation that would come over her. Her chest tightened again, the girl unaware she'd zoned out. She'd snapped back into reality, hearing Spider talking to a police officer, "It's fine, I've got her. We're going now anyway."