39 - One Who Seeks The Truth (II)

Synthia

I stood there,

Motionlessly.

I had so many thoughts in my head as the truth revealed itself to me.

At this point, I could not even tell whether it really was the truth or not. All the information I have heard today feels surreal.

One day, my parents loved me dearly and now, I am here, standing in front of a woman telling me that those people have deceived me.

I don't know who to believe...

People would have called me naive and gullible for believing such a person on the very night we first met.

But I don't know wherelse to go and who to confide in.

"Are you ready, Synthia?" Chisato's voice echoed in my ears. I looked at her and nodded.

"Well then, brace yourself." She mumbled as she flicked her fingers again. The previous scene then turned into something even sadder than the previous one.

The colors were pale and gloomy. I would have called it eerie but it was more depressing rather than horrifying.

"Where are we?" I asked.

Chisato did not reply. I looked at her and she was already gazing somewhere.

I followed her line of sight until my eyes fell on a woman on the far corner of a room.

The room was dimly lit by a small candle, the orange light barely reaching what I believe to be was a bed. I heard little shuffles until a baby's cry was heard, filling the room.

I walked closer and now that I have a clearer view, I was able to tell that it was Chisato holding a newborn baby.

I sat on the edge of the bed and saw how exhausted Chisato looked. She seemed to have just finished giving birth. Her breaths were uneven yet she continued to sing sweet lullabies to the weeping baby.

"You look so beautiful," Chisato whispered softly as she carefully kissed the nose of the infant. Somehow, it comforted the newborn as it gradually eased down and relaxed in the bosom of the mother.

I then looked at Chisato who was now weeping quietly while she stood behind me.

"Is that me?" I mumbled. She nodded.

"And you still look as beautiful as the first day I saw you." She smiled at me. I gave her a small smile.

The serenity of the scene was then disturbed when I heard another child scream for help.

I was startled, causing me to jump up from the bed. Though I was in panic, Chisato remained calm as she stood there, watching her old self gradually show fear in her eyes.

Out of nowhere, Asato ran into the room and with his strength, tried to lock the door behind him as if there were several people chasing him. I looked at him and he was in utter horror, heaving for air.

"Mother! We have to go. They are here!" He was frantic. He then ran towards Chisato and tried helping her mother to stand up.

As they attempted to move, Chisato couldn't help but moan in pain. She already went through the pain of labor and now, she is being forced to stand up. I could not stand watching her like this.

"P-please, h-hold your sister," Chisato held on her belly as she carefully handed the infant to Asato. Once she was successfully out of the bed, she used her ability to somehow open a passage way on the way but she was too weak to even do so.