1.4 | buttercup

part three | to where it will go

Chatters and clinking of ceramics filled up the atmosphere, a door to the entrance opened, a jingling sound reverberated through the mellow murmurs, and then closed softly with a thud, but the murmurs continued.

Chavi looked up from the menu on the table, as her fingers fidgeted with the custom-made napkins, the name 'Blueberry's Cafe' peeked out at her from the corner. The corners of her eyes creased as a smile lifted her cheeks when she noticed the tall female crossing the threshold and walking toward her.

Soft summer sunlight fell on the eastern side of the room as it filtered in through the open glass panes that took up the whole length of the wall and lit up the small space of the cafe. It caressed the high slopes of her proud frame and Chavi couldn't help but admire the confidence and elegance of the latter, she straightened up in her seat and waited till the other had taken the empty seat in front of her.

Inevitably her eyes fell on the beaded bracelet the latter in front of her proudly wore even though it mismatched with her all-gold minimalist style, she quickly looked up and smiled at the female in front of her.

"I ordered mine already, check what you want to have", Chavi referred to the green matcha she had been stirring with the glass straw all this time. Kavya smiled back, in an elated kind as she picked up the mauve-leathered menu and skimmed through the options written in cursive golden strokes.

After their quick desserts arrived, and small conversations were in flow, Chavi asked, "So how is the thesis coming along?"

Kavya swallowed the choco lava cake bite and answered, "It's almost done after I take some of your old samples and the soft copy of your past month's sales, we are pretty much good to go".

She was a business major doing her bachelor's first project on small business owners and the different cyberspace problems they face, Chavi was one of her subjects.

She hadn't noticed the nude canvas bag by her side until now, Kavya placed her dish a little aside and made space for her laptop as she took it out from her bag. She did a few clicks here and there and nudged the screen towards her and added," I just wanted you to have a look".

Chavi perked up in her seat and replied, "Oh wait", and stopped the screen from turning towards her completely, she reached for her phone propped on the vase of pink-tipped white roses, and set it on the table face up. She noticed Kavya's quizzical brows and explained with a small smile, "I  had been recording my day vlogs".

The latter raised her eyebrows in acknowledgment but said nothing as she reached for her cake and took a bite. A weed of insecurity sprouted its leaves inside her but she focused on the array of information in front of her, she went through the numbers, the answers she had sent in through the Google forms, and the document as a whole.

Nodding her head she passed it back to its owner, she clenched and unclenched her fingers, her attention was no longer on the vanilla and maple syrup waffles in front of her, which had been the apple of her eye all this time, and finally let out, "Hey", to gain the latter's attention.

Kavya looked up from her laptop screen and indicated for the former to continue, "I had a suggestion to add. I saw through the questions and they are very good but I think you need another strong question to solidify the conclusion. How about-", Chavi moved her eyes from the soft petals in front of her to the woman.

She stared intently at the half-eaten choco lava but Chavi knew better that her object of sole attention was not herself. She moved forward and tapped softly on her rested hand twice, "Hey".

Their eyes met, "Is something the matter?", she didn't say anything but her eyes conveyed a lot.

"Does it have something to do with Jay? Are you guys okay?", Kavya nodded but her eyes watered visibly, and turned her face to look at the passerby on the sidewalk outside the cafe.

They said nothing and continued eating for a long time, they finished and waited for the bill when Kavya asked, "Can you be attracted to others even when you are already in love with someone?"

"What?"

.
.
.

It was late evening by the time Chavi stepped off the public transport at the bus stop of her neighborhood, the maple-colored sunlight filtered in through the tall eucalyptus trees lining the road.

She sighed deeply after having such a long day, she massaged her stomach thinking of all the food she gobbled up at Devlina's house. She had gone to hang out at Devlina's place, after meeting with Kavya, followed by lunch at her place. Chortle and laughter welcomed her after walking a little when she came to the perimeter of the locality.

Children played, older people walked or took shelter on the small benches scattered around the lush community garden while younger ones took on more energetic sports. Thinking about the events that occurred throughout the day she slowly trudged toward her apartment building.

She thought back to her conversation with Kavya, they had stayed a little more after they were done with their quick meal. Chavi had mustered up the courage to ask, "So you think you are-?", Kavya shook her sideways promptly.

Someone had opened the glass door to the cafe again, a melody of jingling tone was the only sound between them when something clicked inside Chavi and she connected the dots.

"The project was not the only reason you wanted to meet me today", she concluded, it was not a hunch but a fact, and Kavya's silence only confirmed it.

If the latter was not talking about herself, she realized it was about her boyfriend, Jay. Chavi met her eyes finally when an unsettling doubt seeped in and instead of letting it grow anymore she finally asked.

"You don't think that Jay is attracted to me, do you?"

(to be continued)

𖡼𖤣𖥧𖡼𓋼𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊

dun dun dun 👀

that was a complete 180, what are your thoughts on this? I am having self doubts about the story pace so cutiess please bless me with your reviewing skills and help me come up with suggestions and constructive criticism

can you believe it? the third part has started !! now comes the revelations and confirmations.

its the time for truth! comment down your thoughts on this rollercoaster of a chapter. i will be waiting for your reviews <3

love from runahem