-Ten-

His words thundered through my mind, confusion striking me like lightning as my mind was left as a storm of too many unanswered questions. He had deemed her unpredictable, but that isn't the girl I know. Or I suppose, I knew. What does he mean, she's coming for me?

"I want an explanation. For this, for all of this," I demanded, hoping to mask the fact that my chest heaved with anxious breaths and my head ran with fretful thoughts. He nodded his head, and I could've sworn I could hear a small chuckle. The idea that he would do such a thing made me want to strangle him. Did he find this amusing?

"I wish I could explain everything, but not even I know. If you want an explanation, then you'll have to get comfortable."

I plopped onto the ground as if to declare the fact that I was prepared to listen, and he sat down as well. This time I couldn't even hear him laugh, and the solemn expression of the sarcastic boy almost concerned me.

"I guess I should start from the beginning, huh?" I nodded, and he began to speak. "It started with her parents. The Lux and Tenebris faction had always been enemies, but a temporary peace alliance was to be formed. Eralyn's mother, a powerful woman who was practically guaranteed to inherit the throne was chosen, and Eralyn's father was similar. They married and had a child before the current ruler grew threatened by the mother's strength and killed her. But still, Eralyn had already been born. Except she held the power of both her father and mother." The idea that such a thing was true, that the girl who had never even had a physical ability was capable of wielding both darkness and light seemed distant. But I let him continue, as the story intrigued me.

"Eralyn was left with her father, where she ended up killing him. Accidentally, of course, but after the destruction, she neglected her ability. Until recently. She's been receiving help and encouragement, and her power is beginning to reveal itself. And now, she hopes to save you." Out of every word that was spoken, every absurd phrase that left his mouth, it was the final one that left me scouring for words.

"Why?" was the only thing that I could muster. "Why is she searching to save me?"

"I don't know," he said. "All I can tell you is what I've heard. It is my responsibility to regulate her, after all."

I was going to wonder about so much more, let my inquiry speak for me. But before I could, a vile, ear-splitting screech could be heard in the distance. It repeated its call five times before all that was left was its echo. I turned to face Calyx for answers, but he simply mumbled a thread of incoherent curses under his breath before grabbing my arm.

"We need to go. Now," he demanded, pulling me from the ground. He forced me through the garden and out into the steps through which we came, taking me back through familiar and foreign hallways.

"Where are we going—what are we doing?" I whispered, though it was more of a shout as he practically dragged me through winding corridors.

"The Queen. That's her call, the dark Phoenix. She's rallying everyone to the throne room. Which means that I'm probably dead..." he huffed, taking me through an entrance I recognized. Spikes slowly began to disfigure the sides of the walls, a signal that we were progressively growing near.

More people began to appear, rushing from rooms and corridors as bustling crowds were all lined up to get to the throne room. A sea of people crammed through a hallway, and I was almost instantly forced closer to Calyx. At some point, an individual surged forward through the mob and knocked me onto the raven-haired bloke, to which he grabbed me in his arms as if to ensure my safety.

Eventually, after much struggle and far too many embarrassing situations, we had managed to slip into the room where the King, who I knew as the Queen, sat tall and proud, overlooking her royal subjects. Calyx led the way, holding my hand in his and guiding me through the people who began to align themselves in perfect formation. Those at the back seemed to have the less regarded roles, while those who stood saluting at the front appeared to be soldiers and even generals.