Chapter One: Invitation To a New Club

My phone alarm blared across my entire room. I groggily fluttered my eyes open as I turned off my alarm. I sat up slowly and stretched out my arms, trying to shake off the feeling of tiredness that was taking over my body. I shook my head as I swung my legs around the side of the bed, touching my feet on the ground carefully.

I yawned loudly as i stood up and walked over to the bathroom, where I got ready for the morning. I took my shower, brushed my teeth, and did anything else I needed for the morning. I grabbed my backpack from the doorstep and decided to skip breakfast for the morning. I didn't want to be late for the first day of school, after all. Certainly not a new school.

I swung my backpack over my shoulder as I left my house and headed to school. Everybody else was walking along the same path. This bustling atmosphere was something I knew I wouldn't get used to. It's a lot of couples or groups of friends, though. It kinda gets on my nerves. Definitely since I'm a loner type of guy.

I entered the door of the building and looked around. The school was pretty big, it seems. And lockers were lined up against most of the walls. I grabbed my schedule that was folded neatly in my pocket and stared at the words on the page. My locker number is 146, with the combination 09-32-24. So I guess that's my first action.

I walked through the halls and everywhere was crowded with people. It was kind of intimidating...and a bit suffocating. I wavered my way through the crowd and finally walked up to my locker. I put in the combination and clicked my locker to open. I put my backpack in my locker and grabbed a few of my binders I'll need for the first few classes.

As I did so, I felt somebody bump into me as I toppled over to the floor.

"Ah!" A high pitched voice yelped. I looked over to see who bumped into me. It was a strawberry blonde haired girl with shoulder-length hair and light blue eyes. She has a bow that's placed lightly in the right side of her head and her uniform looks pretty wrinkled and messy, along with her blazer being completely unbuttoned.

My binders were scattered everywhere on the floor where I dropped them too. The girl looked over to me with a shocked yet mournful expression.

"I'm super sorry!!" She gasped as she crawled over to my binders and picked them up for me. "I wasn't looking where I was going. Silly me! U-Um...are you okay?"

I stood up and grabbed the binders from her hands. "Ah...yes. I'm fine. What about you?"

"Don't worry about me! I'm fine! Are you new to this school? I don't recognize you," She mentioned with a bright-eyed expression.

"Y-Yeah...I am new," I responded. How do I even talk to a cute girl like this? I'm not used to talking to girls, and I'm afraid I'm stuttering like a weirdo.

"Wait, really?? That's so cool! My name is Sayori! What's your name?" The girl asked.

"I'm Y/N. It's nice to meet you, Sayori."

"Wow you're so formal! But it's nice to meet you too! What's your homeroom number?? Maybe we have homeroom together!"

"My homeroom number is...room 24."

"Same!!" She squealed. "Wanna go together??"

I looked at her dumbfounded and tried my best to smile. "Yeah, sure. Let's go."

"Yay!" Sayori grabbed my free hand and dragged me to homeroom while I tried not to spill my binders on the floor...again. She swung open the homeroom door and sat down in the nearest seat. I awkwardly sat at the desk next to her as I placed my binders in front of me. "How do you like this school so far? It must be hard to be a new kid and moving to a new school in the middle of the year."

"This school is nice...but big," I sighed.

"Yup! This school is pretty big..." Sayori giggled. "Oh! Y/N! Um...I was wondering...do you want to join my club?"

My heart skipped a beat as I looked at her quizzically. She wants me to join her club?

"What's the club called?" I asked. "Or...what is it about?"

"It's the Literature Club!"

Literature? They have a club based on literature?? I've always loved literature and writing...so this just feels like a message sent down from heaven or something.

"I would love to join," I said a bit too quickly. "I might be...a tiny bit obsessed with literature..." Okay, why did I say that? That sounds so stupid.

"Same!" Sayori exclaimed, clearly not realizing how nerdy or stupid I sound. "You're going to join?? That's fantastic! I can't wait to tell the other club members! When the time comes, can I walk with you to the club? I want to see their reactions to a new member!"

"Um, yeah, sure," I agreed. Why is this girl so damn adorable?

"Yay!!" She cheered. "I can't wait for the end of the day now!"

I could say I feel the same way as Sayori. I also feel pretty ecstatic about the end of the day, now that I have this club to look forward to instead of reading or writing poetry all by myself.

"Hey, hey!" Sayori yelped. "Wanna be friends?? I would love to get to know you more, Y/N!"

She...wants to be friends with me...? That's shocking. Nobody ever wants to be friends with an odd person like me, who's too intense about literature for their own liking. Why does she even want to get to know me better, anyways? She's better off finding a friend who isn't so weird. Though, maybe she has the same interests as me?

"Y-Yeah...I would love being friends with you too," I replied with a tight-lipped smile.

"Yay! Really??" She gasped. "You're the best, Y/N!"

"Ah...I wouldn't say that..." I muttered to myself, closing my eyes in embarrassment.

"Why?" Sayori questioned me. "You are the best! Best of the best!"

I blinked a few times in astonishment. "I am?"

"Yup!"

This girl is so...hyper. It takes me off guard every time she somehow compliments me. Does she really see me as that interesting? If so, what does she see in me that I don't see in myself?

The rest of the day dragged on. I got weird stares, but I expected that. I'm new, so I don't know what I really expected. But I will say that the day was really boring. And I was just antsy, since I couldn't wait to go to the literature club that Sayori invited me to. It piqued my interest, since I've loved reading and writing ever since a very young age.

But the day soon came to an end, and it was time for after school activities. As I was packing up my things, mentally preparing myself for this club, Sayori trotted up to me.

"Hey Y/N! Are you ready??" She wondered with wondering eyes. I looked at her and smiled. She seemed so excited for me to join, it almost makes me feel giddy inside.

"Yep. I'm ready."

Sayori beamed at me as she grabbed my hand and ran off to the club while I tried catching up to her. We both ran over to a hallway I haven't really been in yet, since this hallway holds all of the clubs and after school activities usually.

Soon Sayori stopped at a classroom door and swung the door open.

"Guys!! I brought a new member!"

~~~

This chapter was pretty lackluster, but I still hope you enjoyed reading it anyways! Even if it is kinda still an introduction chapter. The next chapter will be the first club meeting, along with the introductions to the other girls. So next chapter will be a bit more exciting, I promise :)