Prologue

I was always called a loner. It's really not a shocker, when all I do in my free time is either read or write my own poems. Yet, I never shared my writing with anybody. I never thought it would matter, since I'll never be a famous or talented author or poet. Just some guy that's simply trying to survive high school and potentially go to college.

I'm nobody interesting, obviously. And tomorrow is my first day at my new school. I've moved schools before, so I shouldn't be this nervous. After all, this isn't my first rodeo. So why am I so worried? I don't know. Maybe it's because it's a bigger school than my past ones, or because I'm away from my family for once.

Whatever it was, I just needed to calm down. Maybe I should read over my most recent poem, or continue reading a book that I was indulged into last night. Or I can just go to bed for the night, hoping for the best, like I usually do. It's no surprise that I picked the third option--I love sleeping. It's a way to escape the world and my stress for the next day.

I glanced at the paper in front of me with my blue mechanical pencil in my hand. I pulled my lips into a tight-lipped smile as I read over my poem quickly:

Hallway:

The hallway stretches out in front of me.

Like my future that feels miles away,

like my bike hitting against the pavement ever so smoothly,

like my pencil that glides against the paper.

The light above me flickers so slightly as I stare at it,

it keeps on repeating: "Follow me. You'll be safe that way."

But I refused, as I turned around to leave, a hand gripped my shoulder tightly.

"Follow me. You'll be safe that way."

The words lingered in my head as the grip on my shoulder got tighter.

The words lingered in the hallway as the grip got tighter.

Tighter.

Tighter.

"Follow me. You'll be safer that way."

So I did. I followed the hallway, and didn't turn back.

I shook my head in disappointment as I placed my poem back in my "poetry drawer," which was basically a desk drawer where I keep my poems. I put my pencil away into my pencil mug and turned my swivel chair around to face my bed. I got up and turned off the lights of my bedroom and slipped into my bed's covers.

I knew I wouldn't be able to go to sleep right away, my insomnia always gets the best of me, no matter how tired I am. So my next course of action is to stare up at the dark ceiling, hoping that sleep will eventually conquer my mind and I'll lose consciousness. That would probably happen in the next hour or so, with my amazing luck.

One thing I'll be searching for tomorrow is a club. I'm not really a club person, but some clubs are interesting and fun. It also gives me something to do, and gives me newfound friendships that my loner-self really needs. I just need some sort of confidence in myself if I ever wanted to make any sort of friends. Or join a club. It takes determination to devote yourself to a club, after all.

With my thoughts swarming around my head like crazy, I slowly lost consciousness...

~~~

I know, this chapter was pretty short. But it's more of a prologue. Every chapter will be longer than this one. This was just a basic introduction to Y/N and our main character's interests and likes. I hope you liked this short chapter though!! <3