Prologue✨

Devotion: love and loyalty for a person

Treachery: an antonym of Devotion, betrayal of trust

September of 2020
Jackson, Mississippi

Kamari Avani Pierson

I sighed as I watched the boys from the neighborhood play basketball. Most of their shirts were off and the sweatpants and shorts hung low on their hips. Sweat was rolling down their chest and abs as they moved with swiftness. A great sight to see, truly.

"Syx is so fine." I propped my head in my hand as I watched Syx play.

"Too bad he's an asshole" Zina shook her head as she kept her gaze focused on Javon.

The game quickly came to an end causing the boys to put their shirts back on. The show was sadly over.

"And he's also 3 years older than you" Xavier nudged my shoulder.

"Barely" I pouted. "He's sixteen right now so that's all that matters." I replied in delusion.

"But you're 14, if y'all get together that is just going to be weird." The words of Kyri immediately pulled me out of my delusion.

"You're right" I sighed once again. I'll still fantasize about him though...

I felt Zina's body tense on the side of me while we watch Javon and his friends make their way over to us.

Zina has crush on Javon that nobody but me knew about. Javon and I had been close since I was 2 and he was 4. Everybody in the neighborhood thought we were eventually going to be lovers, even our parents. However, the relationship between Javon and I was strictly platonic. I saw him as a brother and he saw me as a sister. I can't fathom about us being together, nor do I want to.

Zina revealed her crush to me when she asked if me or Javon had something going on. She wanted to make sure there wasn't anything happening before she made her move. Which she haven't made because she's scary-

"Hey y'all" Javon acknowledged me and my friends as he reached down to give me a hug.

"Unt unt, back up you're sweaty." I dodged his hug while keeping my eyes on Syx.

He furrowed his eyebrows then followed my gaze. His head snapped back to me and I noticed the frustrated expression he wore on his face.

"Avani, what did I tell you?" He scolded me.

"I know" My eyes dropped down to the concrete.

Javon and Syx didn't like each other. At all. Javon wanted me nowhere near Syx.

I stayed away from Syx like Javon asked me to but my eyes couldn't help but travel to Syx anytime he was around.

Later that night

I heard someone knock on my bedroom door. I assume it's pops because the rest of my family just barges in.

"Come in pops" I sat up and paused the movie I was watching.

My dad somberly walked in my room after he closed the door. I watched his movements in concern as he sat on my bed.

"What's wrong?"

My dad sighed and rubbed his hands against his legs. Since he entered my room, my dad has yet to look at me. I knew something was terribly wrong by his body language.

"Pops what happened?"

"I just got a call that umm... Javon was killed. He was murdered Kemari."

Hi! Thank you for reading the prologue of "Treachery."

This is the first book to the "Devotion" trilogy.

Just a heads up, this book is very wild and fast paced. A lot of crazy shit happens in only 35 chapters so hopefully you enjoy the ride!

Just to clarify, the characters will not be 14-16 the entire book. This was basically a flashback.