nineteen

The first ball of the season is tonight. I have a great desire to attend. Weston on the other hand is dragging his feet. I sit in front of the mirror making sure my hair is perfect. West stands behind me, his hands on my shoulders.

"You look beautiful," West tells me. "We could stay here tonight."

I laugh as I shake my head. "I should like to dance."

"We can dance here," West reasons.

"No," I tell him. "I expect a dance at every ball this season."

"Only one?" West questions.

I laugh. "Every dance."

West smiles. "If that is what you desire."

Like every season Lady Danbury is hosting the first ball. She has appropriated a conservatory for this year's ball.

The conservatory is magnificent. West and I arrive as my own family do. I bit my tongue from telling Eloise how beautiful she looks. I know she does not desire to hear it from me.

Eloise is wiggling around messing with her dress.

"Stop fussing with your dress," Anthony tells her.

"You look lovely, dear," Mama tells her.

"I look like a prize calf, trussed up for auction," Eloise insists.

I shove Benedict as he moos at our sister. He smiles cheekily.

"Even Juliette and Daphne felt most apprehensive at their first official balls, and look how well their seasons turned out," Mama offers.

"Oh, right," Eloise remarks.

A rather mawkish young fellow starts towards Eloise. Benedict grabs hold of her arm.

"Come, Eloise," Benedict tells her. "The cakes at these occasions are surprisingly good."

"It truly is a sparse crop," Anthony states.

"Oh, I am sure there is someone here who will charm you," Mama offers. "After all, this is the season the viscount intends to find a wife."

"You honestly just did that?" Anthony questions in disbelief.

Mama laughs. "I believe I did."

Young ladies start to swarm Anthony. West and I are quick to get away from the fray.

"Your mama truly just did that," West states.

I nod my head as I laugh. "She did. She is very much into match making schemes. You should see her and Lady Danbury when they are together." West smiles. "I am going to check on Eloise. You can," I wave hand, "Do whatever it is you do at these things."

"Drink," West tells me with a smile.

It is rather easy for me to find Eloise. I smile slightly. I can tell she feels out of place. Hating every moment that she is her.

"How are you fairing?" I question.

She holds up her dance card for me to see. It is full of names.

"You have been here not ten minutes," I state. I take a closer look at the card. "Lord Byron? Wellington? Eloise, these names are false."

El laughs. "I am merely following our sister's valuable advice. She told me that it is of the utmost importance for a lady's dance card to be filled with all of the right names."

I shake my head. "Do not let Mama see." Eloise smiles. "Now go find Penelope. I know she will be dying to see you."

When I find my way back to West I have heard some most extraordinary gossip.