nine

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soiree promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Trowbridge. Some may call her celebrations too provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes. For one scandalous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

I stand with Daphne at this evening's ball.

"Have you seen Prince Fredrich yet?" I ask.

Daphne shakes her head. "I have not."

"I'm sure he will be here to sweep you off your feet," I tell her.

"Daphne!" Cressida walks over towards us. "You look beautiful, as always."

"Thank you, Cressida," Daphne says.

"You could have chosen anyone. You have gentlemen lined up to pay you tribute. Yet you did not hesitate to steal my chance for happiness away, did you? I knew the marriage market would make rivals of us, but I never thought you capable of being my enemy," Cressida says.

"The man made his choice, Cressida," Daphne tells her. "What did you expect me to do?" She walks off towards the prince.

I smile a sickeningly sweet smile at Cressida. "Enjoy your evening, Miss Cowper."

Anthony rushes towards me.

"Dance with me," Anthony states. He grabs onto my hand. "Now."

I do not have time to question anything before Anthony and I are on the dancefloor.

"Why ever was there such a need for us to dance, brother?" I question.

"Some of the ladies our mother has picked out are persistent," Anthony tells me.

I laugh. "Mama is matchmaking for you?"

"She is trying to," Anthony tells me. "She gave me a list."

"A list," I say with a laugh. "And who on the list are you running from currently?"

"Miss Addington, the Earl of Lindsay's niece," Anthony tells me.

I chuckle. "And what is the problem with Miss Addington?"

"I have no problem with her. It is just..." Anthony trails off.

"You still fear commitment, my dear brother," I state.

"And what of you?" Anthony asks. "You and Lord Weston have been courting for some time."

"I am in no rush," I assure him. "I am still young."

"But if Lord Weston should ask for your hand?" Anthony questions.

"I would have to think about it," I answer honestly.

The song ends and I step off the dancefloor with Anthony "I should go find Daphne."

Anthony looks around. "I cannot see her."

"She has to be somewhere. She cannot just disappear." I look around curiously. "I shall help you look."

Anthony and I cannot find Daphne anywhere inside. We both head outside towards the garden. I pray for her sake that she is not there. Especially not with a man.

When we find her Daphne is not alone. The duke and her are kissing.

"Bastard!" Anthony pushes the duke away from Daphne and punches him in the face.

"Anthony!" Daphne shouts.

I rush to Daphne. "Daph."

Anthony punches the duke twice more. "You will marry her."