Chapter 3

SAMARIA RENEÈ JENKINS
[THREE DAYS LATER]
7:00 a.m | SATURDAY MORNING

LOCATION: BALTIMORE, MARYLAND

"FUCKING HOMELESS PEOPLE ALWAYS IN the way." Was the first thing Samaria hears and the sound of a bag being flung and slammed into the wall.

She wakes up, the sun beaming at the entrance of the underground alleyway. She squints as she sees people coming down in suits, dresses, and regular clothing, some rushing, some on the phone, possibly with business.

Samaria notices that the bag that was kicked was hers, cursing to herself, she gets up, placing the coat on her again and walking over to her bag, unzipping it and mentally thanking that everything, even the money was still inside.

It had been almost three days since she'd been in Baltimore, this being her only known spot to sleep since she really didn't know where else to go. She met a few other people down here, but didn't bother making conversation.

She looks over and sees the two people who were always down here with her were no longer there, they knew to leave at a certain time to avoid rude people like the one she just encountered, but she's still use to sleeping in, so forcing herself to wake up bright and early was always a challenge.

She places the duffel bag on her shoulder, still receiving odd looks from others. She understands she's a bit young to be out in the streets like this without a parent, but she didn't care.

If they cared so much, they'd help.

She walks up to the main street, eyes squinting at the bright sun beaming down. She adjusted her vision as she sees people rushing past her and car horns blowing as the traffic got more and more backed up.

"Move it! I'm gonna be late!" A man yells from his car as he honks the horn again in hopes the line would move even if it was an inch. "Fuck!" He yells hitting his steering wheel in frustration. The situation makes her laugh as little, seeing as how other people have their own personal problems they're dealing with.

She began walking, not really knowing where to go because again, she's definitely not from Baltimore.

The tall buildings blocked majority of the bright sun, to be honest, this main street felt like downtown New York, everything was so busy and the some of the people were pretty damn rude.

"Look mommy!" Samaria hears a young female voice say. She feels a small shove on the back of her leg, looking down, she sees a young girl on the ground. "You okay?" She asks, reaching out to help the little girl up, which the girl accepts. "Thank you ma'am." The little girl says, "I was trying to reach the ice cream man."

Samaria looks ahead and there was a small ice cream truck straight ahead, the line was getting long as little kids dragged their parents to the popular spot.

"Grace, what did I tell you about running off?!" A young woman rushes over to the young girl whom Samaria was still holding hands with, she lets go when she sees the mother in sight, "Sorry, she bumped into me."

"No, I'm sorry, my daughter can be a handful at times."

"It's no worries." Samaria says, "She's adorable." The little girl smiles, then turns her attention back to her mother. "Can we get ice cream, please mom?" The woman was reluctant, "Their ice cream is pretty expensive Grace, maybe another time."