Part 1 - leaving for the asylum

A few years ago, before she died, I'd finally told my mother that I'd got the job at Arkham asylum. She had urged me to not take it. Anyone would do the same. The rumours of the asylum were not good ones - tales of mad men, abusers, criminals, the worst of the worst, inflicted the minds of any that talked about it. It soon became an area most people avoided as they feared being sucked away into this dark, evil, place.
And I worked there.
Walking the same halls that those who were absolutely mental did. Those as mad as the joker - or even worse.

I hadn't listened to my mother when she tried to reason with me. I knew how much it would make her worry, but it was the only job available that seemed easy enough and paid well. I needed it. I needed to start my own life in my own apartment.

I woke in that apartment now. The faint sound of cars and chatting people drifted through the thin windows and it awoke me from my slumber. I sat up and examined my crumbling room, yet again seeing the same thing I saw everyday. I still hoped to one day wake up in a beautiful house in a beautiful room.
I believed that day would never come.

My fridge only contained a bottle of milk and a ready meal curry. Taking the milk, I closed the fridge door and opened my cupboard to see the remains of my favourite cereal.
Breakfast.
I sat back down on my bed and began to munch away - only now realising I was starving hungry. I quickly glanced at my watch - 9:43am. I had to get to the asylum for 10:30 -meaning I had time to get changed and ready for the day. Finishing my cereal, I placed the bowl and spoon by my sink and returned to my bed again.

My clothes definitely need changing, I thought. I wont need a shower though as I had one yesterday morning.

My clothes had become crumpled from sleeping in them so I changed them for clean ones. I had chosen black trousers and a white shirt with a black jacket to wear. Although my apartment was falling to bits, I took pride in making sure to stay clean and always wearing presentable clothes. I brushed your teeth and quickly brushed through my h/c hair. As I looked myself in the mirror, those same e/c eyes stared back at me - cold and distant.
I was tired.

Locking my door and running down the stairs to get to the ground floor, I looked at my watch again - 10:00. I had about 25 minutes if I wanted to get there on time, so I rushed to get to my car. Strapping myself in, I turned on the engine and prepared myself for another day of being surrounded by madmen.