Introduction

I returned from another day of working at that bleak, bare, asylum. My apartment was no different. The walls had peeling paint and mould grew in the corners. A cold, damp, air blew through as the lights softly flickered above me. I placed my keys on the wooden, collapsing table by my door and hung my coat up on the railings.

I lived on the 10th floor of a tall, grim, apartment building in Gotham that was surrounded by many other apartment blocks and shops. After growing up in a somewhat nice, clean, house - i longed to be 9 again, tucked up in my clean sheets and warm room.

I'd felt welcomed every time I'd opened the door to my childhood house. The apartment didn't bring the same feeling, yet it was still home. The home i'd bought myself by working hard at the asylum by sorting files and making coffee. I slumped myself on my bed  - hearing the springs creak in protest. I couldn't watch TV anymore as it had broken a long time ago due to my ceiling leaking water right above it. However, having no TV brought back my fondness of reading books and huddling in my bed to read them.

I didn't exactly have a bedroom so my bed was in the same room as my kitchen. My main light flickered off leaving only my lamp to glow in the darkness. I huddled under my sheets, not bothering to change, and switched the lamp off. I had wanted to read tonight but the sleepless nights had slowly taken me over- meaning i ate less and slept more.

One more week at that f#cking asylum before I can actually have a break. You thought.

The idea of finally having a break, even if it was only for a week, lingered in my mind and eventually i drifted off to sleep.