37. Trapped in a new cage

Sean's perspective:

The car doors opened and revealed a massive building, which he didn't have a chance to see as he was picked up and turned around to face the car again, seeing Ri follow them.

He was carried around and could barely see anything at all, it was like he was flashbanged by all the lights basically, so he closed his eyes until he could open them without destroying his retinas.

Finally, he was able to open his eyes and saw that he was now in a gray room, standing still for some reason, or at least the aliens were.

After some time, one of the walls opened up, much like every other door at Tonuk's home and they all entered a new room, which he also didn't get to see, as he was immediately placed into a different area.

He noticed that the side he entered from was made from glass, but when he got closer to see the room, the glass darkened and he couldn't see out anymore.

He looked around the new room, seeing light blue walls, along with a very bright white light, although this one didn't make his eyes hurt.

The room was a lot warmer,  along with having a mix of a lot of dirt and sand on the floor, he sat down to feel the mixture and laid down to take in the warmth for the first time in a while.

He wondered why he hadn't asked Tonuk to turn the heat lamp on when he had the chanceback at the other building, but this made him remember why he was there.

He started thinking of what the area looked like,  as although he wasn't able to see too much, he did notice that there was a lot of very advanced looking technological stuff.

This made him worry about if he was going to be tested on but decided to try not to think about it, since worrying wouldn't change anything.

He tried many times to distract himself, playing around with the sand, finally being able to by wondering what had happened to the other humans on Earth, surely if the aliens were so interested in him they would have found the other humans.

He continued wondering on whether there could be other humans in that planet, hoping not, since he didn't want to be responsible for the end of humanity.

Unfortunately he soon realized a very good argument for humans being there, which was just how badly untrained Tonuk and Ri were at keeping him safe and stuff, and he had been in the wild gfor a long time, so it was a possibility that he was kept as a pet to random alien along with other people.

He felt bad about this, but thankfully for him a distractiong came in the form if a food bowl, which looked very good, but he really didn't have an appetite from thinking about some pretty bad things.

He started thinking about just how the aliens were planning to treat his species, because he was treated reasonably ok, woth a lot of exceptions, but he was alive, but at the same time the aliens didn't put a lot of effort into studying his species it seemed, along with that they didn't care about what he liked or not for a long time.

He started sulking again, until a voice prompt came up, saying random words he was a bit familiar with, as the food was nudged closer to him with a pole, which was not helping with his worries on how he was going to be treated.

He sat down in front of the bowl but didn't eat, worrying about how he should behave, since he didn't want to find out what would happen if he was useless to the, what seemed to be, researchers.

This thought was enough to get him to eat, seeing the medium rare meat and random veggies, as a new voice prompt came up, this time showing a conversation between two aliens of Tonuk's species.

There wasn't any movement of any type, so he was confused as to if they had unmuted themselves on accident or if he was somehow supposed to understand all the words.

The conversation went on for a long time, which he tuned out eventually, walking around to find anything else to do other than sit on dirt.

Kicking sand around lightly, he found out that there were things buried, which was entertainment enoughvto not continue thinking.

After a long while of digging, leaving his hands dirty, he had found a toy bone, a small capsule woth what looked to be treats, a completely blank, small sheet of paper and a large, flat piece of circular wood, about the size of his forearm.

He used the wood circle as a plate and put everything else he found on top, thankfully, the small capsule was able to be put back together and was strong enough to be thrown anf bounced on walls so that it would come back.

This was done for way more time than he expected, as when he stopped, it was because the bright lights rapidly dimmed, which startled him and made him see that the conversation in the speakers was somehow still ongoing.

He didn't understand why the new aliens were doing this, but one thing he did understand was to go to sleep as his bed, the one before on his own room, was put into his new room.

He started missing being able to go anywhere he wanted, but for the moment, he dozed off.

.

He woke up feeling groggy, as he had some bad dreams worrying about how other people would be treated.

He felt guilty, but there was nothing he could do about it now, so he looked around, seeing how the lights were now completely dark.

He couldn't see anything for a moment until the lights started up, which is when he then saw that there was now a piece of paper and some ink next to it.

He wondered why he was given this, considering how limiting the other aliens like Tonuk or Tegnuk were before.

But even now he was still tired and didn't move away from the bed for a couple minutes until a voice came up from the speakers, which startled him.

This was enough to remove his sleepiness, and remembering the whole "scared of being useless thing", he got to work on the paper.

He didn't know what the researchers wanted, but he assumed that it wouldn't be bad caligraphy that he had already shown many times.

He decided to instead draw, since that would hopefully be interesting enough for the researchers.

He drew a cartoony beach, since it was easy to do so and he didn't have many other ideas.

Still, he was confused as to what the researchers wanted from him, since if they wanted to test inteligence, wouldn't it be better to get other humans, teach them the language and ask them what they want to know?

This made him wonder why the aliens hadn't taught him the language more formally, as opposed to simple words, only five at a time and on random days, since it seemed very inneficient.

After some doodling, Ri came into the room along with the same white suit alien from the day before.

The two aliens sat down in front of him, and he looked away a bit angry, feeling sour at the situation.

He put in some effort to not show this, since he didn't want the researchers to think he was agressive or something and limit him more.

Ri and the researcher started chatting, so he went back to his bed and sat down, resting his chin on his palm as the light continued to brighten slowly.

Finally, after quite a while, the researcher got up and walked closer to him.