Chapter 2

The flight from Baltimore to Wyoming had taken Will a little over four hours. He'd had one short layover in Chicago, and had transferred to one of the smallest planes he'd ever been on for the remaining flight to Wyoming. Why a fortune 500 company like Zenrad decided to build its headquarters in the middle of nowhere was beyond him. Maybe it was simply the only place with enough land at an attractive price for them to build their massive compound, or maybe the taxes were just that much cheaper, but in any case, Will felt as if he were traveling to a foreign land.

When it arrived, it wasn't hard for him to find his way out of the small airport. There was only one gate and one exit from the building, and hardly any people present at all. Zenrad had arranged a shuttle to take him to their facility where he would be living on the company's campus. There was only one man waiting all by himself near the doors, and he smiled and nodded to Will, who followed him to his black Cadillac.

The driver didn't bother trying to make small talk, something which Will appreciated after a tiring day of travel, so instead he only silently gazed out the window at the scenery. There wasn't really much to see. There wasn't much in the way of architecture or even civilization really. It was mostly spacious ranches with grazing cattle enclosed by barbed wire fences, that, and barren wilderness. What little shops and businesses they passed all seemed to be owned by Zenrad, or at least only sprung into existence because of the company's presence in the small town. It was a sharp contrast to the orderly, well-manicured gated community in Connecticut where he grew up.

But Will wasn't perturbed by what the surroundings lacked. The lack of nightlife and shopping were of absolutely no concern to him. Zenrad was a first-rate facility, and from what he had learned about the compound, he doubted he would ever need to leave. Everything he needed would be right there, and he could barely wait to begin his career and prove himself to the world.