Part 29

A week later, on Saturday, I was in my room putting a pair of Adele's old red Adidas sneakers on, getting ready to go out. It was 2:30 P.M and I was about to be on my way to see Kenny. I had seen him all week at school – in the few classes and breaks we were able to share - but it felt nice knowing that I was about to get to spend some real time with him outside of class, finally. I did a quick outfit check in my waist-up mirror - grey cami under a warm, black, tight-fitting zippered turtleneck sweater, paired with grey joggers. I shook out my loose hair – which was wavy after having been in braids overnight - and flipped it to the side. I looked like Adele. The hair, and the outfit.

I decided to head to her room for some input on my look. Once, I got there, I was surprised to find her dressed nicely in a white tight-fitting long-sleeved top, grey sweats and Vans, putting on blush in front of her dresser mirror, her large black bag wide open on her bed. Her hair was in a low ponytail - two blonde tendrils hanging neatly on either side of her face – exposing small hoop earrings and her glossed lips. I admired her from the doorway. "You look nice," I said, meaning it with all my heart. Seeing her dress up was extremely rare. I wondered where she was going.

She looked up from her mirror quickly. When her eyes fell on me, she nervously tugged on a necklace around her neck and smiled slightly. "Thanks..." Sizing me up, her smile widened. "So do you."

I smiled too, "Thanks," and stepped into her room. "You goin' out?"

Her eyes went back to her mirror and she continued to apply her blush with care. She hardly ever wore any makeup - not that she ever really needed any. "Yeah. I feel like I look a little pale today." She glanced at me. "My cheeks just need a little colour." I nodded and slowly headed to her bed, taking a seat. "Today you're hangin' out with Kenny right?"

I nodded. "Mm-hm."

"Ahh, that's why you look so good," Adele said in a teasing tone.

I looked down at my outfit self-consciously. "Is it too much?"

Adele laughed. "Of course not! It's new. I'm actually surprised you decided to wear my old shoes and put the whole outfit together yourself."

I shrugged. "Kinda felt inspired to try something different."

Adele glanced back at me. "You nervous to see Kenny?" Her voice held slight suspicion.

"A little..." I admitted.

"Don't be. It's Kenny. Nothing's changed with him right?" I slowly shook my head. Adele smiled at me in her mirror. "He'll love your outfit. You honestly look fire."

I smiled warmly. "Thanks." Relaxing a little, I leaned back on my sister's bed and looked her up and down, taking in her outfit for a second time. "Where will you be going today?" I asked curiously.

Adele put her blush products away. "Meeting a friend," she answered quietly.

I frowned at her, intrigued. "Someone I know?"

She headed towards her closet, not looking at me. "Is the weather supposed to be cold out today?"

"Umm... well, it's sunny right now, but it might be chilly."

"So I should bring a sweater?"

"Yeah. Maybe something light..." I watched her back as she rummaged through her closet. "So... do I know the person you're about to meet up with?"

Adele came over to me with a long green jacket, keeping her eyes on it as she dropped it on the bed. "Jas," she said very quietly.

I sat up. "Jas?" I was surprised. "Really?" Adele nodded slowly and rubbed her lips together. "I didn't know you guys were talking."