Chapter 21.

CAN YOU BE MY NIGHTINGALE?...

A\N: Please! For the full effect play the song in the background while you read

A\N: Please! For the full effect play the song in the background while you read. You won't be disappointed.

And yes. I rewrote some of the lyrics.

(One Upon Another Time by Sara Bareilles)

Hmmm, Hmmm
Hmmm, Hmmm

Coriolanus squeezed his hands into fists so tight his knuckles turned white, unsure of the vipers' intentions. The snakes in the tank, having been exposed to his scent on the proposal, had entirely ignored him. But these seemed magnetically drawn to June. Could it be that the environment made the difference? Violently released from the warm, close quarters of their tank into the vast, unsheltered arena, were they seeking her out as the only familiar scent they could find? Had they gravitated to her to harbor in the safety of her dress?

Juniper knew none of this, because that day in the zoo when he'd meant to tell her everything about Clemensia and those god awful snakes, her circumstances had been so much worse than his own, he decided to keep silent on the matter. Even if he had told her, it would be a real leap of faith in his abilities to imagine he'd found a way to tamper with the snakes in the Games. What did she think was keeping them in check? It had to be her singing. Had she sung to snakes back in twelve? Coriolanus knew from their youth, she wasn't very fond of insects or reptiles. But perhaps things changed as she grew and flowed through the districts. Maybe she befriended all kind of bugs and snakes back in 12. Perhaps she thought if she stopped singing, they would indeed kill her now. Perhaps this was her swan song. She would never want to go out without having something to say. She would want to die with her boots on, in the brightest spotlight she could find.

When Juniper began the lyrics, her voice was soft but clear as a bell.

Once upon another time
Held a hand who's fit in mine
Took me out into the night
Was free..

I don't know this, Coriolanus thought. But something told him this wasn't just some old song.

I recall the sun sank low
Never felt more at home
Forever a burning hope
So breathe...

Just green leaves and tire marks
Sun-kissed skin and handle bars
And where I stood was where I was
To be

The Gamemakers cut to a longer shot, which made Coriolanus want to shout an objection until he realized why. Every snake in the arena appeared to have fallen subject to her siren's song and flocked to her. Even those in the nest under Teslee, who was ready prey, had abandoned their target and made for Juniper. Still shuddering from the trauma, Teslee slid shakily to the ground and hobbled over to a chain link fence on one section of the barricade. She climbed her way to a safe height while the song continued.