34

SOLEIL

With Brice gone, I'm now stuck alone with Hidde who doesn't look that happy to see me. We stand at a stare-off in awkward silence. He smoothly slides his hands into his chinos and cocks his head to the side. I mimic him by tilting my head to the side too and cross my arms in a defensive pose.

I take the time to look at him, really look at him. His blonde hair is shorter and smoothed back, his face younger and rounder in contrast to the sharper features of the mature man in my dreams. He was handsome in his own way. Unfortunately, my sights were set on his dark-haired, broody cousin.

So much new information floated around in my head and I needed to talk to someone who would understand. I had a feeling he knew what was going on. He was not at all phased with Brice's sudden appearance or disappearing act.

"Clovis..." I tested out the name to see his reaction.

He furrowed his brow and walked over to where I stood. His blue eyes regarding me with a cold look as he stared me down. I hadn't interacted much with Hidde during high school except for a project here and there over the years. He was cordial but never friendly. We'd greet each other whenever we crossed paths but otherwise kept it pushing.

"Why would he tell you that?"

"He didn't. I found out on my own." His eyebrows drew up in surprise. I could see the questions in his eyes. "I saw you in my dream."

A few beats of silence passed between us as he assessed me.

"I see. What else do you know?"

"Not much. I was hoping you could fill me in."

I had dreamt of him and Brice in their previous incarnations. Not to forget, we were also family friends. Our mothers knew each other. Our grandparents also knew each other. I wonder how deep this family connection went.

"I got your things from Mark's hotel room," he said, changing the topic as he walked away, heading over to the sitting area.

I noticed my overnight bag on the couch for the first time.

"Get dressed while I check out. We'll talk in the car."

*

We sat in comfortable silence in the luxury SUV. Similar to Brice he drove a black Jeep but his was a Grand Cherokee instead of a Wrangler.

I'd let Gogo and Michelle know I was on the way home back at the hotel - the same hotel Mark and I checked into. A few of the Matrics had also booked rooms there to recover instead of driving home drunk after the club. I had tried calling Mark but it went to voicemail so I sent a few texts.

I was both embarrassed and annoyed.

I don't know what I was thinking kissing Mark but I do know I was sending him mixed messages and that wasn't fair. Why did Brice have to be such a brute though? Couldn't he have let me have one normal night without pulling a stunt? I certainly never expected him to lose his shit and knock Mark out.

I warm rush of heat runs through me when I recall him admitting he was jealous a short while ago.

You got it baaad, my subconscious wails along with a few more lyrics from the Usher track.

"How is Mark doing?" I ask Hidde knowing they're also friends.

"How do you think he's doing?"

"I didn't mean for this to happen. Trust me when I say I feel badly, guilty even."

"His nose was reset and luckily, he didn't suffer a concussion. He had his driver come pick him up when he got out of the hospital a couple of hours before you showed up. He's pissed but he'll get over it."