"Why was your top off?"

You're at JJ's in his hot tub. Empty beer bottles have collected on the ground around you. For the past forty minutes, you and JJ have been giggling drunkenly at absolutely nothing.

Your hand falls onto his bare chest. Even behind the pair of sunglasses he's wearing (at night), you can tell something has shifted.

You've been flirty with each other for a while now, even shared a few kisses. When you decided to come over tonight with your bikini, you wondered if anything would escalate. It's been heading that way, getting closer and closer. Now, JJ's heart pounds like a heavy drum beneath your palm.

He swallows. "Y/n," he says.

You kiss him. It's soft at first, like you're both unsure if this is the right move. But then you lean into him, and his hand slides around your lower back. Your mouths open. It's the first time you've made out with each other. It should feel weird, but it's not.

He pulls away.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he says. "Well... are you and Rafe still...?"

"No." You shake your head. "We're done, we broke up."

"Are you over him?"

Right away, you know the answer, but to say it would probably crush JJ. He's had a crush on you since forever. It nearly killed him when he found out that you and Rafe were dating. That was a year ago. He's waited patiently, trying his best to be just a friend because you told him that's what you needed---a friend.

"I don't... I don't really wanna think about him right now," you say.

JJ nods.

"Can we just make out?"

He nods again.

But this time, all you can think about is Rafe. He swims into your head, even after every attempt to kick him out. Kissing JJ is not the same as kissing Rafe, but when you imagine that it is Rafe, you kiss JJ harder and faster.

You reach behind your neck and pull at one of your bikini top strings. JJ watches with wide eyes as your red top falls around your rib cage, exposing both of your breasts.

He lets out a breath. "Holy shit."

"You can touch me if you want," you say.

He gently clasps your breast with his hand and squeezes, gently. You pull him in by the waist under the water and ressume kissing. It feels good to press your bare breasts against his bare chest. It makes you want more.

You moan into JJ's mouth, and he laughs, nervously.

"Is this okay?" you ask him.

He nods. "Can I put my mouth around them?"

You give him permission, and JJ lowers himself into the water until he's face-to-face with your hardened nipples. He wraps his hand around one of them and sucks. You tilt your head back and moan.

"Does that feel good?" he whispers.

"Yeah. Keep doing it."

He focuses on them one at a time, and he goes slowly, which is excruciating.

Gravel pops and headlights swipe across the yard. You and JJ break apart then shield your eyes from the blinding light. A car has stopped on JJ's property.

The driver's side door opens. A figure steps out and slams the door. Their footsteps crack against the gravel, and then Rafe appears, broad-shouldered and clutching his keys.

"The hell are you doing here, Rafe?" JJ says.

"I came for Y/n."

You and JJ exchange a glance. "Why?" you ask.