Chapter 3: Making Amends

In the vicinity of a shabby abode situated atop a lofty mountain, one could faintly hear the sound of a broom diligently sweeping away dry foliage. Today, Luo Xue will be leaving for the punishment realm. She tidied up the place one last time before sealing it with a locking spell. Once the doors closed, she turned around and breathed in the air she had longed for. A serene smile emerged as her black eyes revealed nostalgia towards this refreshing woody scent.

The entire mountain was surrounded by towering bamboo poles. Luo Xue gazed at them while recalling that bamboo held a special place in her master's heart. Unlike other masters who were obsessed with power, treasures and cultivation, her master cherished these bamboo above all else, always carefully watering each one. Her gaze lowered as her smile slowly faded. Her master's tranquil temperament and inherent fondness for these plants resembled... her mother. She missed them very much.

Walking away from her home, a question brewed in her mind.

After coming back to life again, she was no longer an ignorant 18-year-old cultivator. She had lived long enough to witness the rise and fall of many sects, almost achieved the peak of power and progress in a life that was beyond unimaginable.

So what's the point of her return this time?

Luo Xue pondered, but even after arriving at the gates of the sect master's peak, she failed to derive an answer.

Standing at the gates were two imposing disciples in white robes, adorned with a golden sash around their waists and a silver sword crest on their shoulders. Luo Xue presented them with a letter that had been sent to her by Luo Bingyu the previous night for their quick perusal. Once they checked through the contents and saw the authentic stamp of approval, they welcomed her inside without any trouble.

As Luo Xue disappeared from their sight, they questioned if the rumours matched the widespread gossip.

In what way was Luo Xue acting crazy? She seemed far too calm for someone entering the punishment realm. One disciple shook his head, confused about the bizarre gossip.

As Luo Xue stepped into the hall, an overwhelming surge of power pierced through the air, threatening to swallow her whole. No power was spared into this single move, as though the assailant intended to leave her with her last breath.

Sensing a change in the atmosphere, Luo Xue quickly launched her mental force. Conjuring up a thin, invisible barrier before her, she shielded herself, providing immediate protection from any harm.

Unbeknownst to her, the initial attack served as a mere diversion, ultimately leading to a sword pressed against her neck!

Luo Xue's eyes widened in surprise, but she quickly composed herself. Standing behind her was Luo Bingyu, his blade grazing her delicate skin. In a cold tone, he questioned, "Who are you?"

"Uncle Luo, it's me, Luo Xue. Isn't it obvious?" Luo Xue replied casually, her nonchalant demeanour contrasting with Luo Bingyu's growing vigilance. Within a few short seconds, Luo Bingyu was deeply shocked by Luo Xue's impressive reflexes. Given that she was a cultivator at Foundation Establishment, her performance was remarkable.

But it only made her more suspicious.

"Speak the truth or face the consequences," Luo Bingyu sternly warned, his brows furrowed as he kept his sword raised. "How did your strength grow to this extent? How can I be certain it's really you?" He wanted to drive the blade further into her neck, but hesitated.

While Luo Bingyu was hesitating, Luo Xue made no move to attack. Instead, she sighed.

Luo Xue said, "Uncle Luo, believe me. I am truly Luo Xue. There is no old geezer possessing my body, nor am I under anyone's control. If you doubt me, you can search my soul."